Landlords must follow legal procedures to evict renters. The procedure used depends on who your landlord is and the type of renting agreement you have. Here are some examples:
  • if you have a secure contract with a housing association then your landlord must follow the rules for community landlords.
  • If your landlord is a private individual, or a private company providing student housing, then they should follow the eviction rules for standard contracts,
  • If your landlord is a university, your landlord will probably have to follow different rules about eviction.
If you are unsure about what the eviction rules are for your renting agreement, get help from an adviser.
In most cases, your landlord will need to apply for a possession order in the court, unless you live in the landlord’s home and share amenities with your landlord. The pages below explain the eviction procedure for the most common types of renting agreement.

You can also find out what to do if your landlord doesn’t follow the right procedure, illegally evicts or harasses you. 

If you own your own home and your lender is trying to evict you for mortgage arrears, visit our section on mortgage repossession. 

If you are being evicted for rent or mortgage arrears you may be eligible for the Breathing space scheme which gives you time to get some specialist debt advice. 

The sooner you seek advice the better. 

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.