Renting is changing in Wales on July 15th: Find out more here

Student accommodation

Finding a suitable place you can afford, whilst concentrating on your studies, can be difficult.

Some of the different accommodation options available to students are outlined below.

You might also want to look at our student checklist to help you think about what things to consider when finding a place.

You can find lots more advice and information in our Students page.


If you are living in shared student accommodation, are unwell, and suspect that you may have coronavirus, or have been advised to self-isolate, it is essential that you minimise visiting shared spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas as much as possible.

If possible, find a suitable alternative self-contained space until you are fully recovered. This could be in the same building.

If there is no separate area, there are steps you can take to minimise the risk of infecting others:

  • keep shared spaces clean and well ventilated if possible
  • stay 2 metres from other people and not do not share a bed with another person
  • if the toilet or bathroom facilities are shared, you should use a separate bathroom if possible. The bathroom should be cleaned and disinfected using regular cleaning products before being used by anyone else
  • if a separate bathroom is not available, consider drawing up a rota for washing or bathing, with the person who is unwell using the facilities last, before thoroughly cleaning the bathroom themselves (if they are able or it is appropriate)
  • use separate body and hand towels from other people
  • avoid using shared kitchens whilst others are present
  • do not share crockery and cutlery
  • take your meals back to your room to eat and use a dishwasher (if available) to clean and dry crockery and cutlery.

Where can I look for accommodation?

If you are moving away to college or university for the first time the chances are you will choose to move into halls of residence for at least the first year. Most places give priority for halls to first year students.

After the first year, many students decide to move into alternative accommodation alone or with friends.

Most colleges and universities have an accommodation office or student welfare officer in the students’ union who can help you find a place to live. You could also check student notice boards around the campus for vacancies in shared houses, or place an advert yourself saying what you are looking for. Shop windows, local newspapers and magazines may also have adverts.

You could also search online. Popular websites that advertise private house shares and homes to rent include :

  • Rightmove
  • Zoopla
  • Spareroom
  • Gumtree

Not all options are available in all areas, so you’ll need to be realistic about what you are prepared to accept and be as organised as you can early in the year.

If you haven’t started your studies and are not moving into halls of residence, don’t be afraid to contact the accommodation office or students’ union of the institution you’re going to and ask for assistance. Their contact details will be on their website.

What are my options?

Halls of residence
Many colleges and universities have halls of residence. You usually get your own room and share cooking and living areas. Increasingly, the rooms have en-suite bathroom facilities. Some halls provide meals and bed-linen and some are self-catering.

You should be given an agreement explaining the rights and responsibilities you have before you move in. This is more commonly known as your accommodation contract. In most cases it will say that you are an occupier with basic protection. This means that you can be evicted fairly easily but the institution has to give you at least four weeks written notice and get a court order before you have to leave.

It is important that you take time to read your accommodation contract to make sure you understand what it says before you sign it.  If there is anything that is unclear or unfair, get advice. The contract may not be legally correct.

Most halls of residence are owned by the college or university but in some cases they are owned and managed by private companies. If this is the case, the college or university still decide who gets a place but the company is your landlord. The company is responsible for collecting the rent and managing services such as cleaning and repairs.

College or university houses and flats
Some college and universities have flats and/or houses that they rent to students. They are usually very popular so it can be difficult to get a place. In most cases, mature students and people with children get priority.

In some cases, the institution leases these properties from private landlords, housing associations or, less commonly, from the local council. If you are in this type of accommodation, it is important to check whether your landlord is the institution or the owner of the property. Either way, your landlord is responsible for carrying out any repairs needed and for dealing with any problems related to your tenancy or licence agreement.

In most cases, you will be an occupier with basic protection if the institution is your landlord. You will probably be an assured shorthold tenant if your landlord is a housing association or a private company or individual.

Privately rented accommodation
In many areas there is a lot of privately rented accommodation available. Some places are rented directly from the landlord and some are rented through a letting agency. The accommodation office and/or students’ union will usually have a list of local private accommodation landlords that have been approved by the institution.

You may be able to find a place:

  • in a bedsit or flat of your own
  • in a shared flat or house
  • as a lodger in your landlord’s home.

As a student, you have the same rights as any other private tenant. You will probably be an assured shorthold tenant.

The quality and price of privately rented accommodation is very variable and private landlords can provide lots of different types of tenancies. You should always go and see the accommodation and read any paperwork involved before you agree to move in or sign any written agreements. Don’t hand over any money until you are certain.

If you want to live alone, bedsits and lodgings are usually cheaper than flats. But if you share any accommodation with your landlord you will be an excluded occupier. This means that you have few rights and can be evicted very easily.

Many students prefer to share flats or houses with friends. You usually get more for your money if you are sharing and will be able to split the cost of the bills. If all your flatmates are students, you don’t have to pay any council tax but you may need to get a certificate from your college or university to show the council.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Tachwedd 10, 2021

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.