Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

Government help with heating costs

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bills, you may be eligible for discounts, grants and other help.


If you are worried about your gas or electricity bills, speak to your energy supplier. You could get support including:

  • reduced bills or debt repayments
  • a temporary break in your bills or debt arrangements
  • a change to your bill payment plan.

If you have a pre-payment meter and you are worried about how you are going to top it up, your supplier may be able to :

  • arrange for someone else to top it up
  • add credit to your account automatically
  • send you a pre-loaded top-up card.

If you are struggling to pay your energy and water bills during the pandemic you can get more advice and help from National Energy Action (NEA).

Warm Home Discount Scheme

If you’re on a low income, or you receive the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit, you may qualify for a one-off £140 discount on your electricity bill.

Check to see if you’re eligible, find out which energy suppliers are part of the scheme and how to apply.

The scheme for winter 2021/2022 opens on 18 October 2021.

Cold Weather Payments

You may qualify for Cold Weather Payments if you are on certain benefits, including:

  • pension credit
  • income support
  • income-based jobseeker’s allowance (JSA)
  • income-related employment and support allowance (ESA)
  • universal credit.

The payments are made when temperatures drop below freezing for more than a week between the beginning of November and the end of March.

You receive £25 for every 7 days where the temperature averages below zero degrees Celsius.

Payments are made automatically so you don’t need to apply.

Find out if a cold weather payment is due for your area – check

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is a grant of between £100 and £300 to help older people with winter energy bills. To qualify for the payment, you must have been born on or before 26 September 1955.

How much you get depends on your age, if you receive certain benefits and if you live alone or with others.

Further help

Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 or e-mail for more help and advice on paying your energy bills.

If you have problems with fuel bills or debt you can get face-to-face help from specialist Shelter Cymru debt advisers.

You can also contact the Energy Saving Trust for information on similar services provided by other energy providers.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

This page was last updated on: Medi 2, 2021

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize