Renting is changing in Wales on July 15th: Find out more here

Cash in a crisis

You might be able to get help with your money if you are in a crisis. Look at the different options below and don’t be afraid to ask for help.

If you are under 25, check out our Emergency Help with Money pages in our young person’s portal.


Self-isolation payment
If you are losing income because you have:

  • tested positive for coronavirus and/or
  • been told to self isolate by the NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect system

you might be able to apply for a £750 self-isolation payment.

Parents and carers of children who have been told to self-isolate by the NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect system can also apply.

To qualify you must either be:

  • receiving statutory sick pay (SSP)
  • working and earning less than £500 per week, or
  • getting one of the following benefits:
    universal credit (UC)
    income based Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    income based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    working tax credit
    income support
    housing benefit
    pension credit.

You will need to contact your local council to apply. Find details of your local council and how to apply here.

If your application is approved, you should receive confirmation by email or letter within 3 working days.

If you do not receive one of the benefits above you may still be eligible for a discretionary payment if you have been formally told to self-isolate. Contact your local council for more details.

Discretionary Assistance Fund
The Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) provides urgent grants to people in Wales as a last resort. Take a look at our advice below for more details on how to apply.

If you make an application to the DAF before 31 March 2022, it should be dealt with more flexibly than usual.

During this period you are able to make up to 5 rather than 3 claims for an Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP) in a 12 month period and you do not have to wait for 28 days from your last grant before you receive another one.

Discretionary Housing Payment
If you are struggling to pay your rent and are already receive housing benefit or universal credit (UC) housing costs you could apply for a discretionary housing payment to ‘top-up’ your rent.

Tenancy Hardship Grant
If you rent your home and have not been able to pay your rent because of coronavirus you might be able to apply to your local council for a Tenancy Hardship Grant (THG). A THG is paid directly to your landlord to cover rent arrears and does not need to be paid back.

To receive a THG you must:

  • rent your home from a private landlord, the council or a housing association
  • have fallen atleast 8 weeks behind with your rent between 1 March 2020 and 31 December 2021 as a result of financial hardship caused by coronavirus
  • not have received housing benefit or universal credit housing costs when the rent arrears built up.

A THG could be right for you if you lost income during the pandemic, for example because you were furloughed, your hours dropped, your universal credit reduced when the uplift was removed or you were ill.

To apply for a THG you need to email your local council using the email addresses here. Make sure you include ‘THG Support Grant’ as the subject line of your e-mail. The council should then be in touch with you to make the application. For more details about the THG scheme click here.

Discretionary Assistance Fund

You may be able to get help from the Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF), which provides urgent grants to people in Wales as a last resort. The DAF can include awards for certain electrical white goods, such as fridges and cookers, in addition to household items such as beds, bedding, curtains and kitchen items. Grants do not need to be paid back.

There are 2 types of grant from the DAF :

Individual Assistance Payments (IAPs)

In some urgent situations, IAPs can help if you are trying to move house or stay in your current home. There are some qualifying conditions and, to be eligible, you must be:

  • entitled to, and in receipt of, Income Support, income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Pension Credit, or
  • due to leave an institution or care home within 6 weeks, and likely to be entitled to receive one of the above benefits on leaving.

Emergency Assistance Payments (EAPs)

EAPs can help meet expenses as a result of an emergency or disaster and might be able to help pay towards heating your home in the event of extreme weather.

Anyone over the age of 16 can be considered eligible for these payments.

The EAP is a small, short-term grant available to cover the immediate emergency needs and can be awarded towards essential needs such as food, gas, electricity, essential clothing and emergency travel. You do not have to be receiving any benefit to qualify, but you must show that you have tried other sources of affordable funding before applying.

For more information on the DAF, included a link to apply online, click here. You can also apply by ringing 0800 859 5924 (9.30am – 4pm Mon-Fri).

Get advice if your application for a DAF is unsuccessful. An adviser may be able to persuade them to offer you some help or be able to help you access other sources of help.

For information on the DAF in welsh, see here.

Food banks

Food banks provide food parcels to people in need. They are often run by church or community groups.

Some food banks offer a hot meal and advice. If you live in a rural area and cannot afford to travel to collect your box, some food banks offer a free delivery service.

You need a voucher to use a food bank. You then swap this at the food bank for food.

You can get food bank vouchers from:

Short-term benefit advance

If you have claimed benefits and are waiting for your first payment, you may be able to ask for an advance payment, also known as a short-term benefit advance.

You can ask for this if there is a delay in processing your benefit claim which isn’t your fault, or you are waiting for an increase in your benefit payments due to a change in your circumstances.

To be eligible, you must be claiming an income-related benefit such as jobseeker’s allowance, income support or employment & support allowance. You need to prove that you are experiencing financial hardship.

You usually have to repay the benefit advance within three months, but in some circumstances you have up to six months to pay back the money.

If you have applied for Universal Credit and don’t have enough to live on while you wait for your first payment you may be able to get a Universal Credit advance.

Hardship payments

If your benefits have stopped because of a sanction, you might be able to apply for hardship payments.  You will need to prove that you or your partner will have problems paying for essential living costs. If you’re homeless, pregnant, a single parent or vulnerable (perhaps because of an illness), you should be able to get a hardship payment straightaway.

You don’t usually have to repay a hardship payment.

If your Universal Credit has been sanctioned, click here. If your JSA has been sanctioned, click here.

Budgeting loans and budgeting advances

Budgeting loans are interest-free loans available only to people claiming certain income-related benefits.

There are two types of loan, depending on which benefits you are claiming:

  • budgeting loans – if you claim income support, jobseeker’s allowance, employment and support allowance or pension credit

Help to pay your rent or council tax

You may be able to get help from the council with the costs of renting your home. Local councils can provide help through:

You can also contact your council’s housing options or homelessness services for advice. Your local council may be able to offer financial help to help prevent you becoming homeless.

Get advice immediately if you already have rent arrears or mortgage arrears.

Credit unions

Rather than getting a bank overdraft or spending money on your credit card, credit unions are a more affordable option if you need to borrow money for a short time. Credit unions won’t let you borrow more than they think you can pay back and the interest rates are low.

Try to avoid bank overdrafts, spending money on your credit card and borrowing from payday loan companies. These are very expensive ways to borrow money, especially if you don’t repay them in time.

Other help

Have a look at our page on other benefits or find out what other benefit help you might be able to claim by using the entitledto Benefits Calculator.

If you are under 25 and have money worries, take a look at our Money matters advice page, specifically put together for young people.

If you are struggling to pay your debts then get advice as soon as you can. Click here to find details of our free, specialist, independent, confidential debt advice service in Wales.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Phone an adviser

If you have an urgent housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Webchat an adviser

Webchat an adviser

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Ebrill 5, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.