Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

Help with heating costs

There are a number of ways you can reduce the amount you spend on heating during the cold winter months – especially if you are elderly, disabled or on a low income.


If you are worried about your gas or electricity bills, speak to your energy supplier. You could get support including:

  • reduced bills or debt repayments
  • a temporary break in your bills or debt arrangements
  • a change to your bill payment plan.

If you have a pre-payment meter and you are worried about how you are going to top it up, your supplier may be able to :

  • arrange for someone else to top it up
  • add credit to your account automatically
  • send you a pre-loaded top-up card.

If you are struggling to pay your energy and water bills during the pandemic you can get more advice and help from National Energy Action (NEA).

Advice on heating your home

Nest is the Welsh Government’s fuel poverty scheme. It aims to help reduce the number of households in fuel poverty and make Welsh homes warmer and more fuel-efficient places to live. You can contact them free from a landline or mobile on 0808 808 2244 for advice on saving energy, money management, ensuring you are on the best fuel tariff and whether you may be entitled to any benefits to help you pay for your heating costs. You may also be eligible to receive home improvements at no cost, to help make your home warmer and reduce the cost of your energy bills.

Financial help for heating costs

If you’re an older person and or have a low income, you may be eligible for discounts, grants and other help with your energy costs:

Warm Home Discount Scheme
You might qualify for a one-off £140 discount on your electricity bill if you’re on a low income or you receive the guarantee element of pension credit. Check to see if you’re eligible, which energy suppliers are part of the scheme and how to apply.

For more information call the Warm Home Discount Scheme helpline on 0800 731 0214.

Cold Weather Payments

You should also qualify for a Cold Weather Payment if you qualify for the Warm Home Discount. The payments are made when temperatures drop below freezing for more than a week between the 1st November and the 31st March.

You receive £25 for every seven days where the temperature averages below zero degrees Celsius.

You don’t need to apply. Payments are made automatically within 14 days of each period of very cold weather.

Find out if a cold weather payment is due for your area. Check

Winter fuel payment
The winter fuel payment is a grant of £100 to £300 to help older people with winter energy bills. To qualify for the payment, you must have been born on or before 5 January 1954.

How much you get depends on your age, if you receive certain benefits and if you live alone or with others.

Check if you qualify by visiting

I am in debt with my heating costs – what can I do?

If you have problems with fuel bills or debt you can get free, confidential, face-to-face help from specialist Shelter Cymru debt advisers at several locations in Wales. Click here to find details of the debt advice surgeries nearest to you.

You could also visit our money advice section which contains more advice on energy saving and tools to help you if you are struggling to pay your energy bills.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Mehefin 15, 2021

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize