The ban on fees will not apply to you if:
- your tenancy began before 1 September 2019, and
- you have not signed a renewal tenancy.
Your landlord or agent will still be able to charge you fees. This includes charges for:
- admin costs for things like phone calls and postage
- late payment fees
- fees for changing your tenancy.
There is no limit on how much you can be charged if your tenancy began before 1 September 2019 but letting agents must advertise their fees on their websites and in their offices. They must tell you:
- the cost of each fee including VAT
- what the fee covers.
A letting agent can be fined up to £5000 if they do not comply with these rules.
If you disagree with the fees that are being charged, or they are hidden or unclear, you can complain to the letting agency. If they do not sort out the problem tell your local council’s tenancy relations officer or contact Rent Smart Wales who can investigate for you.