Most people who live together argue about money occasionally. But it helps if you’re clear about certain things from the start:
- How much rent you will pay, when and how it will be due, and who you will pay it to.
- How you will divide up household bills – especially the phone.
- Is there a kitty for communal items like toilet roll and washing-up liquid?
- What happens if somebody breaks something? Does it come out of your shared deposit or does the person who broke it have to pay for it?
- What’s the situation with council tax?
If you live alone, you will probably receive a 25% discount on your council tax bill. You will no longer be entitled to this if someone else moves in. If you live in a household comprised entirely of students, you won’t need to pay any council tax at all, but if one person isn’t a student, you will get a full bill.