Harassment can be any action your landlord takes to deliberately disrupt your life or make you leave your property. Harassment can also be committed by someone else, for example the landlord’s family or letting agent.

What is harassment?

Landlord harassment is a criminal offence. It can include:

  • cutting off or restricting gas, electricity or water supply
  • visiting your home regularly without warning
  • interfering with your post
  • threatening you
  • sending builders round without notice
  • entering your home when you are not there, without your permission
  • beginning disruptive repair works and not finishing them
  • harassing you because of your gender, race or sexuality.

This behaviour may be intended to make you leave your home without your landlord having to follow the proper legal procedures, or it may be for other reasons.

Harassment can be very distressing and might make you feel as though you have no choice other than to move out.

What if a letting agent is harassing me?

Harassment by a letting agent, or by anyone working on behalf of the landlord, is also a criminal offence. If your landlord knows how the agent is behaving, then your landlord could be held equally responsible by law.

Most agents dealing with properties in Wales should have a licence under the Rent Smart Wales scheme. If you are being harassed, or have been threatened with illegal eviction by an agent, check the Rent Smart Wales website to see if the agent has a licence and, if so, make a complaint so that Rent Smart Wales can investigate it further.

Some agencies belong to trade associations such as:

Most trade associations have a complaints procedure and some may have a mediation service, which could help to negotiate a solution to the problem. If your agent has behaved illegally, it could be asked to leave the trade association.

What can I do about it?

Take a look at the practical steps we suggest you take here.

Remember, if your landlord is making you feel unsafe in your home or has threatened you with violence, report them to the police by calling 101 or 999 if it is an emergency. Find contact numbers for the police here.

In serious cases, you might be able to get an injunction against the landlord or agent. An injunction is a court order to tell your landlord or agent to stop harassing you. You’ll need the help of a solicitor or adviser to get one. Contact a Shelter Cymru adviser near you who can then refer you to a solicitor in their legal team.

Legal aid is available for injunctions. You may be eligible for legal aid if you claim certain benefits or have a low income. Contact Civil Legal Advice to find out if you qualify for legal aid.

Does it matter what type of tenancy I have?

All tenants are given protection by the law against harassment and illegal eviction.

If you are:

your landlord doesn’t need a special legal reason to evict you, so you should get advice regarding your housing options before you challenge her/him, as to do so may put your home at risk.

If you have an assured tenancy or a regulated tenancy you are in a much stronger position as the landlord can’t evict you without a valid legal reason. Get advice if you’re not certain what kind of tenancy you have.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Ionawr 25, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.