Paying for housing

Housing problems often begin because of financial difficulties. If you don’t have much money it can be difficult to find a decent home and if you can’t pay the rent or mortgage you could face eviction.

This section explains what help there is to pay for housing, including Housing Benefit, Universal Credit and help to pay for essential items. It also includes information about tenancy deposits (bonds), letting fees and what to do if you fall in to arrears.

Get advice immediately if you are having problems paying for your accommodation. Being threatened with eviction doesn’t necessarily mean that you will lose your home – it may be possible to sort things out, even if the bailiffs are on the way.

For urgent advice please call our expert housing advice helpline on 08000 495 495

or, for non-urgent enquiries please use our email advice service. An adviser will aim to reply to emails within five working days.

Arrears and dealing with debt

If you are struggling to pay your rent, or are at risk of losing your home because you owe your landlord rent, you need to take action.

Universal Credit

If you are on a low income or out of work, you might be able to receive Universal Credit (UC) to help you with your living and housing costs.

UC is paid in one single, monthly, payment and is replaces several older benefits – including Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit

If you rent your home and you are on a low income or benefits, you might be entitled to Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent.

Tenancy deposits

Most private landlords ask new tenants to pay a deposit in case the tenant causes damage to the property or doesn’t pay the rent or bills.

Rent in advance

Private landlords often ask for one month’s rent to be paid in advance at the start of a tenancy.

Letting fees

Most letting fees for private tenants in Wales are now banned. Find out what you can do if you are being charged a banned letting fee.

Holding deposits

A holding deposit is a payment to a landlord or letting agent to reserve a property. Find out how much you might be asked to pay and what information you should be given before you hand over a holding deposit.

Council tax

Have a look at this page to see if you can get help paying your council tax.

Rent and rent increases

Different tenancies have different rules about the rent that can be charged and how a landlord can increase the rent.

The benefit cap

The benefit cap puts a limit on the total amount of welfare benefits many people can be paid.

Help with heating costs

There are a number of ways you can reduce the amount you spend on heating during the cold winter months.

Help to buy essential items

If you don’t have money for essential things like a bed or a fridge, find out where you can turn for help.

Paying for care and support

This section looks at how to pay for care and support, and what help is available.

Other benefits

There are many different types of welfare benefits available and it’s important to check whether you are getting everything you are entitled to.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Ebrill 26, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.