If you rent your home, your rights and responsibilities will depend on what sort of landlord your have, what sort of tenancy you have, and if you share your home with a partner or other people. Find out in this section about the different types of tenancy and what your rights and responsibilities are.

This section will also help you work out what to look for in any rental agreement and how to end any agreement.

Shelter Cymru does not give advice to leaseholders. If you are a leaseholder and are unsure of your rights, go to the Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) website for information and advice.

For urgent advice please call our expert housing advice helpline on 08000 495 495

or, for non-urgent enquiries please use our email advice service. An adviser will aim to reply to emails within five working days.

What to look for in a renting agreement

If you are renting your home, you either have a tenancy or a licence to live in the property. This page explains what to look for in your rental agreement.

Private tenants

Private tenants can have several different types of tenancy. Some of these give you more rights than others.

Council tenants

In Wales, councils provide secure, introductory and demoted tenancies. The type of tenancy the council give you will affect many of your rights.

Housing association tenants

Housing associations in Wales provide secure, assured, assured shorthold (starter) or demoted tenancies. Not all tenants of Housing associations have the same rights.

Assured shorthold tenancies

This section explains the rights you have if you have an assured shorthold tenancy with a private landlord.

Assured tenancies

This section explains the rights you have if you are an assured tenant with a private landlord.

Mobile home tenancies

This page helps you work out what kind of tenancy you may have if you rent a mobile home from a landlord.

Agricultural tenancies

This page briefly explains the housing rights of people who live in homes as part of their job on a farm.

Sharing and subletting

Sharing a home with other people can be great fun, but it’s important to know what your rights are and what to do if there is a problem.

Ending a tenancy or licence

You must end your agreement properly if you want to leave. If you don’t you may still be liable to pay rent.

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016

Tenancy laws in Wales are changing. The Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 introduces lots of changes which will come into force in July 2022. Keep up to date here.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Tachwedd 18, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.