Council tenants’ rights

Council tenants usually have stronger rights than most private rented tenants. The type of tenancy agreement the council give you will affect many of your rights, including how and when the council can evict you, how your rent can be increased and whether you can pass your tenancy on.

In Wales, councils provide secure, introductory and demoted tenancies. If you are in England you may have a different tenancy. See Shelter for more advice about council tenants in England.

The council should give you a written agreement, which says clearly what type of tenancy you have, and outlines your rights and responsibilities.

If you live in temporary housing that the council arranged because you were homeless, you may not be a council tenant at all. Your rights depend on whether your landlord is the council, a housing association or a private landlord. Get advice if you need help.

Secure council tenancies

Secure council tenants can only be evicted in certain situations. You can take in a lodger and may be able to pass on your tenancy, get a transfer or exchange your home.

Introductory council tenancies

An introductory tenancy is a one-year trial council tenancy. It gives you most of the same rights as a secure council tenancy but you can be evicted much more easily.

Demoted council tenancies

Demoted council tenancies give you more limited rights and less protection from eviction than a secure tenancy. Councils use demoted tenancies to take action against tenants who have been involved in anti-social behaviour.

Temporary housing for homeless people

If you’re living in temporary housing arranged by the council because you made a homelessness application, you have limited rights.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Rhagfyr 3, 2020

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.