Demoted tenancies : council

A demoted tenancy is a one year probationary council tenancy. Councils use demoted tenancies to take action against tenants who have been involved in anti-social behaviour. Demoted tenants can be evicted much more easily than secure council tenants.


Emergency laws were introduced in Wales to deal with evictions during the pandemic.

Between 29 September 2020 and 24 March 2022, most tenants in Wales were entitled to 6 months’ notice before their landlord could start court action to evict them. This included demoted tenants.

The emergency laws ended on 24 March 2022. This means, if you have a demoted tenancy and your landlord wants to evict you, any notice given on or after that date must be atleast 4 weeks in length.

Am I a demoted council tenant?

You probably have a demoted tenancy if the court made an order to demote your secure tenancy, and less than a year has passed since then.

The council should have sent you information about your rights and letters from the court should confirm how long your tenancy has been demoted for. Check these, and if you’re not sure whether your tenancy is still demoted, ask the council or get advice.

When can secure tenancies be demoted?

Demoted tenancies are very similar to introductory tenancies. They give you more limited rights and less protection from eviction than a secure tenancy.

The council has to follow the correct procedure and get a court order if they want to downgrade your tenancy in this way. They normally have to start by giving you a written demotion notice, giving reasons why they are applying for a demotion order and when court action will begin (they should normally give you at least four weeks’ notice).

Once it goes to court, the judge will only agree to demote your tenancy if you (or someone who lives with you, or visits you regularly) have:

  • behaved antisocially or caused nuisance in the area, or
  • threatened to do so, or
  • used your home for illegal activities such as drug dealing.

The judge must also consider whether in all the circumstances it is reasonable to make a demotion order.

The council should then give you a written tenancy agreement explaining the rights and responsibilities you will have while your tenancy is demoted.

When will I become a secure tenant again?

If an order is made, the demotion will normally last for one year, unless:

  • the council starts possession proceedings against you during the 12 months
  • you leave your home (in which case you will lose the tenancy)
  • the court overturns the order (for example if the judge believes that it should not have been made in the first place)
  • you die and no one is entitled to take on the tenancy (see below).

If you don’t cause nuisance or break your tenancy agreement in other ways, you should automatically become a secure tenant again after 12 months. If the council starts court action during the 12 months, you can be evicted very easily.

Can the council evict me?

Yes. Demoted tenancies can be ended much more easily than secure tenancies. The council doesn’t have to prove a legal reason in court but they have to follow the correct procedure to evict you.

The council must give you at least four weeks’ written notice that they are going to ask the court to evict you and explain the reasons why.

You have the right to ask the council to review their decision, but only if you do so within 14 days of receiving the notice. If you do nothing there is a serious risk that you will lose your home.

Contact an adviser immediately if you receive a notice. An adviser may be able to help you convince the council that you shouldn’t be evicted and can check whether there is any way you can put things right, such as claiming benefits or settling a neighbour dispute.

If the case goes to court, provided the council has followed the correct procedure, the judge is very likely to evict you. In very limited circumstances, you may be able to argue before the court that the decision of the council to evict you was unlawful or that your eviction would not be proportionate. This is however a developing area of law and you will need to seek advice from an experienced adviser before raising such an argument.

What are the rules on rent and rent increases?

Your rent will be the same as it was before your tenancy was demoted.

Your rent should always be your top financial priority as you could lose your home if you get into rent arrears. If you are claiming benefits or have a low income, you may be able to claim housing benefit or Universal Credit housing costs to help with the rent.

Check your tenancy agreement to see what it says about how the rent can be increased. The council normally has to give you written notice in advance. If you pay your rent weekly, they should give you at least four weeks’ notice. It is usually very difficult to challenge rent increases, even if they seem unfair.

Who is responsible for repairs?

The council should give you information about what repairs you are responsible for, which usually includes internal decoration and putting right any damage you cause. The council is usually responsible for most other repairs, including any problems with the roof, guttering, windows, doors and brickwork. They also have to ensure that the plumbing, gas and electricity are working safely.

If your home needs repairs, report the problem to the council immediately. They should have a 24 hour service for emergencies and proper procedures for carrying out any work involved. If the repairs aren’t carried out, or are done badly, get advice or see our pages on repairs in social housing.

Do I have the right to buy my home?

No. Council tenants in Wales no longer have the right to buy their home.

However, you may be able to buy a home through a number of other home-ownership schemes.

Can I take in lodgers or sublet my home?

You don’t normally have the right to take in a lodger or sublet part of your home while your tenancy is demoted. If you do so without written permission from the council, you can be evicted very easily.

Can I get a transfer or exchange my home?

You won’t normally be able to exchange your home or get a transfer while your tenancy is demoted. There’s usually a long waiting list and most councils will give priority to people who have not been involved in antisocial behaviour. Once your tenancy becomes secure, you will be able to apply.

Can I pass on my tenancy?

You can’t pass on a demoted tenancy by assignment (ie transfer it to someone else during your lifetime) unless it’s done as part of a divorce or other family proceedings. You will be able to do so once your tenancy becomes secure again, but only to a person who would be entitled to succeed to it on your death.

If you die while your tenancy is demoted there are rules about who the tenancy can be passed on to. If you have a joint tenancy, the other joint tenant will automatically take over the tenancy when you die. If you are the sole tenant, it happens through a legal process called succession.

The rules, say that succession can only happen once.

Your tenancy can be passed on to your civil partner, spouse or partner (whether heterosexual or same sex) or another member of your family, providing they have been living with you for at least one year.

What if I have a complaint?

If you feel that the council isn’t treating you fairly or has failed to fulfil its responsibilities, you can complain using their official complaints procedure. If you’re not happy with the response you get, you can complain further to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Ebrill 6, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.