Housing association tenancies

Not all housing association tenants have the same protection from eviction. The type of tenancy agreement you have will affect many of your rights, including how and when the housing association can evict you, how your rent can be increased and whether you can pass your tenancy on.

Housing associations provide secure, assured, assured shorthold and starter tenancies or they can apply to the courts to demote your tenancy. They should give you a written tenancy agreement, which says clearly what type of tenancy you have, and outlines your rights and responsibilities.

Assured tenancies

Most housing association tenants have assured tenancies, but you should check your status if you are uncertain.

Assured shorthold tenancies

Housing associations often provide assured shorthold tenancies if the tenancy is temporary, or if it is a starter or demoted tenancy.

Demoted tenancies

If you behave in an anti-social manner housing associations can demote your tenancy to a less secure type for a certain period of time.

Starter tenancies

A housing association will give you a starter tenancy as a 12-month trial period at the beginning of your tenancy.

Secure tenancies

If you have been renting your home from a housing association since 1989 you might have a secure tenancy. Secure tenants have stronger rights than other housing association tenants.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: Awst 10, 2021

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.