If you rent your home, your rights and responsibilities will depend on who your landlord is and what type of renting agreement you have.

Most renting agreements are ‘occupation contracts’ but there are some exceptions

There are two types of landlord: Community landlords and private landlords. If your landlord is a housing association or your local council, then you have a community landlord. All other landlords are classed as private landlords. For example, if you live in university accommodation, or housing provided by your employer, then they would be classed as a private landlord.

This section will also help you work out your rights if you are sharing accommodation and how to end an occupation contract. 

Shelter Cymru does not give advice to leaseholders. If you are a leaseholder visit The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) website for information and advice. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Mawrth 4, 2024

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.