Extending a converted introductory standard contract

  • If you have a converted introductory standard contract you will become a secure contract-holder after a year unless the introductory period is extended 
  • Your landlord must follow the correct procedure to extend your introductory period 
  • You have the right to ask for a review of the landlord’s decision to extend the introductory period 

If you moved into your home on or after 1 December 2022 the information below does not apply to you. To find the correct information, please visit our Renting section. 

This page explains what a community landlord has to do to extend the introductory period of a converted introductory standard occupation contract. It covers how you must be informed and your right to ask for a review 

It does not explain your rights and the responsibilities you and your landlord have under a converted introductory standard contract. For information about this, click here. 

When will I become a secure contract-holder? 

You will become a secure contract-holder automatically after 12 months, unless your landlord: 

  • starts action to evict you during the 12-month period, or 
  • decides to extend your introductory period for a further 6 months. 

The time you spent as an introductory or starter tenant, including any time spent in another property should count towards the 12-month introductory period. 

How can my landlord extend the introductory period? 

Your landlord can extend your introductory period for a further 6 months by giving you a notice of extension (also called an RHW34 form). The introductory period can last a maximum of 18 months. 

The notice of extension must: 

  • be given to you at least 8 weeks before the end of the first 12 month introductory period 
  • give you reasons why the landlord wants to extend the introductory period 
  • tell you that you have a right to ask for a review of your landlord’s decision. 

If you do not agree that your introductory period should be extended, you can ask your landlord to look at the decision again. This is called asking for a review. If you want to ask for a review you must do so within 14 days of getting the notice of extension. Always ask for a review in writing to avoid problems later 

For more information on what happens in a review, see our page on Challenging a community landlord decision. 

Can my landlord evict me during the introductory period? 

Yes, but your landlord has to follow the right procedure. If they want to evict you they must give you a notice and, once you receive the notice, you will have a right to ask your landlord to review their decision to evict you.

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Rhagfyr 29, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.