Converted fixed term standard contracts

  • Fixed term assured shorthold tenancies became ‘converted fixed term standard occupation contracts’ on 1 December 2022    
  • These types of contracts are known as ’converted contracts’ 
  • The terms of your fixed term assured shorthold tenancy still apply, unless they are incompatible with the fundamental terms of your converted contract 

This section explains the rights you have if you have a fixed term standard occupation contract with a private landlord. 

If you moved into your home on or after 1 December 2022 the information below does not apply to you. To find the correct information, please visit our Renting pages. 

Do I have a converted fixed term standard contract? 

If you had a fixed term assured shorthold tenancy with a private landlord immediately before 1 December 2022, your renting agreement became a converted fixed term standard contract on that date.  

If the last day of your fixed term assured shorthold tenancy was before 1 December 2022 and you did not sign a new fixed term before that date, then you became a periodic assured shorthold tenant. Your agreement will then have become a converted periodic standard contract on 1 December 2022.

What are the terms of my converted fixed term standard contract? 

The terms of the renting agreement you had before 1 December 2022 will continue and they are now part of your converted fixed term standard contract. 

However, the law also introduced fundamental terms and supplementary terms into all converted periodic standard contracts.   

To help you work out what the terms of your converted periodic standard contract are, you can follow these 3 rules: 

  1. Fundamental terms are always valid (except for how much notice you receive if your landlord wants to evict you using the ‘no fault’ section 173 procedure)  
  2. The terms of your old agreement are valid except for those that are incompatible with fundamental terms 
  3. Supplementary terms are valid except where they are incompatible with fundamental terms and the terms of your old agreement 

Where terms are incompatible this should be noted in the contract. 

Will I get a copy of the new contract? 

Your landlord must provide you with a written contract by 1 June 2023. If your fixed term ends before this date your landlord must still provide a copy of the converted contract, unless you agree to a new fixed term or periodic standard contract.  

If any supplementary term or terms in your old contract are not valid this should be identified and explained clearly in the contract. For more information see our advice page about written contracts.  

If you haven’t already received them, you should also be given:  

  • a contact address for your landlord  
  • a copy of the annual gas safety check dated within the last year 
  • an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) dated within the last 10 years  
  • information about the deposit protection scheme  used by your landlord if you have paid a deposit; 

 You should also receive an electrical installation condition report before 1 December 2023. This test should then be renewed every 5 years. 

If your landlord has not provided the above information, they may not be able to evict you using a ‘no fault’ notice. If your landlord has given you an eviction notice get help. 

Can my landlord evict me?  

If you have a converted fixed term standard occupation contract, your landlord can’t evict you during the fixed term unless you have breached the contract or if your contract contains a landlord’s break clause. A break clause is a term that allows your landlord to end the contract during the fixed term. You should check your contract to see if it has a break clause. 

Your landlord must follow the correct procedure by giving you written notice and getting a court order.

If you receive a notice from your landlord, get help.

Illegal eviction 

If your landlord tries to evict you without getting a court order it may be a criminal offence. Your local council should help if you have been illegally evicted or harassed by your landlord. You may also be able to get a court order to force your landlord to allow you back into the property. Get urgent help if you are in this situation.

What are the rules on rent and rent increases? 

Paying rent 

Read your contract to see what it says about how the rent should be paid. You must pay the rent that you agreed with your landlord. If you don’t pay your rent your landlord can take court action to evict you  

If your rent is due weekly your landlord has to provide a rent book.  

Rent increases 

If you have a converted fixed term standard contract your landlord cannot increase your rent during the fixed term. 

Your rent should always be your top financial priority as you could lose your home if you get into rent arrears. If you have a low income, you may be able to claim  housing benefit or  Universal Credit housing costs to help with the rent. 

When the fixed term ends

When your fixed term ends you will become a periodic standard contract-holder. If your landlord wants to increase your rent you may be able to appeal to the Rent Assessment Committee (RAC). You must apply for an appeal before the date that your rent is due to increase. It is difficult to challenge rent increases when renting from a private landlord because your landlord might decide to evict you if you don’t agree to the new rent. 

Can my landlord change my contract? 

A converted fixed term standard contract can only be changed if you agree. No changes can be made until you have been given the written contract. Once you receive the contract your landlord can make changes to:   

If you agree to changes to any fundamental, supplementary or additional term, your landlord should give you a ‘written statement of variation’, or a new written occupation contract in full, including the change, within 14 days. If your landlord fails to provide you with either of these, get help.

For more information about terms that apply to occupation contracts, see our advice about fundamental terms and supplementary terms.

Should my landlord be registered? 

Yes. Every private landlord in Wales should be registered with the Rent Smart Wales scheme. In addition, landlords who self-manage those properties, or agents who have been appointed by the landlord, must have a license. 

You can check if your landlord and/or agent is registered or licensed by searching the public register. If they are not registered and/or licensed they might be committing a criminal offence and could face penalties. See our pages on landlord registration and licensing for more information.

Who is responsible for repairs and conditions? 

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that the property is kept in good repairThis includes dealing with: 

  • problems with the roof, guttering, windows, doors and brickwork  
  • plumbing, gas and electricity. 

Your landlord should give you information about what repairs you are responsible for, which usually includes internal decoration and putting right any damage you cause. 

If your home needs repairs, report the problem to your landlord straight away. 

Your landlord must also ensure that you home is fit to live in. If conditions in your home are very poor, if there is serious damp and mould for example, your home may be classed as unfit to live in.  

For your home to be fit to live in, you must also have been given a carbon monoxide detector where appropriate.  

Your landlord must also install mains-connected smoke alarms on each floor of your home and carry out an electrical installation condition report (EICR) by 1 December 2023. 

You can find out more about repairs if you have a private landord here.

Your right to live in your home without interference 

You have the right to live in your home without interference from the landlord or anyone acting on their behalf. If your landlord tries to do this s/he may be guilty of harassment, which is against the law. To find out more about what you can do if your landlord is harassing you, read our advice about harassment and illegal eviction. 

Getting other people to live with you 

You should check your occupation contract to see if you can allow other people to live with you. Usually you will be allowed ‘permitted occupiers’ (for example a partner) but your contract might not permit you to take in a lodger or sublet any of the property. 

Can I add a joint contract-holder? 

Your converted contract should give you the right to add a joint contract-holder if your landlord agrees. Your landlord should not refuse to give permission without a good reason. This is a fundamental term of secure, periodic standard and fixed term standard contracts. Find out more here. 

Can I transfer my occupation contract to someone else? 

You can’t usually transfer a converted fixed term standard contract someone else. You should check the terms of the agreement you made before 1 December 2022 to see if it allows you to transfer (often referred to ‘assign’) the agreement to anyone else. Even if your contract allows you to transfer to someone else, it is likely to require the consent of the landlord to do so. 

Can I pass on my contract when I die? 

You may be able to pass on your contract when you die. This is called succession.  The rules for succession rights can be complicated.

What happens at the end of my converted fixed term standard occupation contract?   

If you continue living in your home beyond the end of a converted fixed term standard contract, it will automatically become a periodic standard occupation contract.  

The terms will be the same as the converted fixed term standard contract, although your landlord will now have to give 6 months’ notice if they want to evict you using the ‘no fault’ procedure.  

Your landlord should provide you with a new written occupation contract within 14 days of the end of the fixed term. However, they don’t need to do this if the the fixed term standard contract you initially received explained what the terms of your contract would be after the fixed term.

If you are unsure about the terms of your occupation contract after the end of the fixed term, get help. 

If you and your landlord agree to a brand new periodic or fixed term standard contract then the terms of your fixed term agreement made before 1 December 2022 will no longer apply. Your landlord should provide you with a written statement of your contract within 14 days of the contract start date.

How can I end my converted fixed term occupation contract?  

If you have a fixed term standard contract you usually cannot end the contract early unless your landlord agrees to a ‘surrender’ or if the contract contains a break clause allowing you to leave.

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Tachwedd 17, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.