Renting from a private landlord

If you rent your home and your landlord is not the council or a housing association then you have a private landlord  

Most renting agreements given by private landlords are standard occupation contractsThere are two main types of standard occupation contract: 

  • Fixed term standard contracts – this means your contract lasts for a specific length of time (but you can’t be evicted at the end of the fixed term without a court order), and;  
  • Periodic standard contracts – this means your contract does not have an end date, but rolls forward with each rental period. 

There are some situations where you might have a  different kind of renting agreement. For example, if you share certain parts of the accommodation with your landlord you may not have a standard contract. 

If you are not sure what type of contract you have get help. 

Take a look at the options below to find out more. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Rhagfyr 4, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.