Problems with housemates

Problems with housemates can be hard to resolve. What you can do usually depends on what the problem is and whose name the contract is in. 

Can you agree a solution? 

The first step towards solving any problem with your housemates is to discuss the situation. Ensure each person makes it clear what s/he wants – you may be able to reach a satisfactory compromise before the problem gets too serious. Think about inviting an impartial person from outside your household to help negotiate. 

Many problems in shared accommodation are to do with mundane things such as the washing-up, the volume of music or smoking in shared spaces. In these situations, if talking doesn’t help, the only options may be to put up with the situation or move out. 

Can you ask the landlord for help? 

If talking doesn’t sort the problem out it may be worth asking your landlord for help. In some cases s/he may be able to take action against the people responsible, although you can’t force them to do this. What your landlord can do depends on the type of contract you have and the particular problem in your household. 

What about extreme cases? 

In very extreme cases you may be able to get help from the council or the police. This is only likely to be possible in situations where: 

  • another contract holder  has threatened you with violence 
  • the noise or damage caused is so severe that it has become a serious nuisance 
  • there is racial or sexual harassment. 

If you are in any of these situations, get help immediately. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Rhagfyr 8, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.