Supported accommodation

Supported accommodation quick links: 

  1. Supported standard contracts 
  2. Supported accommodation: licences and common law tenancies 
  3. Eviction from supported accommodation 

If you moved into supported accommodation before 1 December 2022 the information below does not apply to you. Please visit our converted contracts advice section.

Do I live in ‘supported accommodation’? 

Supported accommodation is a type of housing provided by a community landlord or a registered charity where you can receive support for a number of issues. This could include: 

  • substance misuse issues 
  • securing employment 
  • living, or preparing to live, independently 
  • finding alternative accommodation 

Support means you could be receiving advice, training, guidance or counselling as part of your support. 

If you are given support and your home was provided on the condition that you receive support while living there, then it is probably classed as supported accommodation. 

What type of agreement will I have when I first move in? 

If you live in supported accommodation you can have either either a licence, a common law tenancy or a supported standard contract.

When you first move in your landlord can give you a common law tenancy or licence for the first 6 months. You will then automatically become a supported standard contract-holder unless your landlord extends your current agreement for 3 months by giving you a written ‘notice of extension’. Your landlord can extend the agreement for 3 months as many times as they want to as long as they follow the correct procedure.

For more information about the type of supported accommodation agreement you have, please click one of the options below. If you are not sure what type of agreement you have, get help. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Rhagfyr 2, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.