Complaining to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

  • Complaints about community landlords can be brought to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
  • You will probably have to use your landlord’s complaints procedure before the Ombudsman will consider your complaint 

If a community landlord won’t carry out repairs to your home and you’ve tried using their complaints procedure but aren’t satisfied with the result, you may be able to complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. 

You may also be able to complain about the council’s environmental health department if they have not followed their procedures properly, or they refused to help you. 

What can the Ombudsman do? 

The Ombudsman will not investigate every complaint made to them. If they do decide to investigate your complaint, they will look into the way your landlord has dealt with your request for repairs, and decide whether they acted fairly and followed the correct procedures. If they agree with your complaint, they can recommend that your landlord takes steps to put things right, and may suggest that they pay you compensation. 

The Ombudsman’s decisions are not legally binding, but most landlords will usually follow them.

How do I make a complaint? 

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales has information and forms explaining how to make a complaint on their website. You can submit a complaint online, using their online complaint form, or you can download, print off and send a complaint form by post. 

If this is not possible, you could also email [email protected], phone 0300 790 0203 or complain by any other method appropriate to your needs. 

Whichever way you complain, you should try and include all of the following information so that the Ombudsman can make a decision: 

  • when the disrepair started or was noticed 
  • the effect that the disrepair has had on you or members of your household 
  • how and when you complained about the disrepair to your landlord 
  • what you hope to achieve by complaining to the Ombudsman 
  • whether you have considered legal action as an alternative to approaching the Ombudsman 
  • copies of the most relevant documents that the Ombudsman needs to consider, such as occupation contract, photographs of the repairs that need to be done and letters / emails of complaints 
  • copies of any doctor’s notes or hospital reports which show that your health has been affected by the problem 
  • receipts for any money you need to spend because of the repair problem (eg if you had to replace damaged belongings) 
  • authorisation to act for someone else if necessary. 

It is worth getting help before you make your complaint. A Shelter Cymru adviser can help you put together the arguments you will need, and might be able to help you fill in the forms. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: Chwefror 16, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.