Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

Finding student accommodation

Most students have to live on very little money and aren’t entitled to housing benefit. Finding a suitable place you can afford can be difficult, but by using the information below, your housing search and queries should hopefully be a little easier.

What is available?

Most colleges and universities have an accommodation office or student welfare officer in the students’ union who can help you find a place to live.

You could also search online. Popular websites that advertise private house shares and homes to rent include :

  • Rightmove
  • Zoopla
  • Spareroom
  • Gumtree

Check student notice boards around the campus for vacancies in shared houses, or place an advert yourself saying what you are looking for. Shop windows, local newspapers and magazines may also have adverts.

Not all options are available in all areas, so you’ll need to be realistic about what you are prepared to accept and be as organised as you can early in the year.

If you haven’t started your studies and are not moving into Halls of Residence, don’t be afraid to contact the accommodation office or students’ union of the institution you’re going to and ask for assistance in advance. Their contact details will be on their website.

Whatever you decide to do, below is a list of the different types of accommodation that may be available to you.

Halls of residence

Many colleges and universities have halls of residence. You usually get your own room, which might have en-suite facilities, and you share a living area and cooking facilities with other students. Some halls provide meals and bed-linen and some are self-catering. If you are moving into halls make sure you read all of the paperwork you receive and complete and return any forms on time.

You should be given an agreement explaining the rights and responsibilities you have before you move in. This is more commonly known as your accommodation contract. In most cases it will say that you are an occupier with basic protection. This means that you can be evicted fairly easily but the institution has to give you at least four weeks written notice and get a court order before you have to leave.

It is important that you take time to read your accommodation contract to make sure you understand what it says before you sign it. If there is anything that is unclear or unfair, get advice from your students’ union or Shelter Cymru.

College or university houses and flats

Some college and universities have flats and/or houses that they rent to students. They are usually very popular so it can be difficult to get a place. In most cases, mature students and people with children get priority.

In some cases, the institution leases these properties from private landlords, housing associations or, less commonly, from the local council. If you are in this type of accommodation, it is important to check whether your landlord is the institution or the owner of the property. Either way, your landlord is responsible for carrying out any repairs needed and for dealing with any problems related to your tenancy or licence agreement.

In most cases, you will be an occupier with basic protection if the institution is your landlord. You will probably be an assured shorthold tenant if your landlord is a housing association or a private company or individual.

Privately rented accommodation

If you choose to rent accommodation from a private landlord you will probably have the same rights as any other private tenant. You will probably be an assured shorthold tenant.

Some places are rented directly from the landlord and some are rented through a letting agency.

The quality and price of privately rented accommodation is very variable and private landlords can provide lots of different types of agreement. You should always go and view the accommodation and read any paperwork involved before you agree to move in or sign any written agreements. Don’t hand over any money until you are certain.

If you want to live alone, bedsits and lodgings are usually cheaper than flats. But if you share any accommodation with your landlord you will be an excluded occupier. This means that you have few rights and can be evicted very easily.

Many students prefer to share flats or houses with friends. You usually get more for your money if you are sharing and will be able to split the cost of the bills. If all your flatmates are full-time students, you don’t have to pay any council tax but you may need to get a certificate from your college or university to show the council.

Other pages in advice for young people

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: September 26, 2019

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize