Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

Are you leaving home in a hurry?

If you are over the age of 16 and your parents or carers want you out of the house, try and find somewhere to stay before you leave.  Print our Emergency help for young people checklist for good suggestions of things to take with you and organisations to contact.

Are you too scared to go home?

If you feel unsafe or in danger at home, it may be best to leave straight away. Try to contact an adviser before you go and arrange some emergency housing in advance.

If someone in your home is being violent or abusive towards you, you must get help immediately. If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police.

You can also call:

If you find yourself sleeping on the streets, make sure you stay safe and get help and advice immediately.

What can the council do?

If you have nowhere to stay, your first stop should be the council’s housing department. Click here to find your local council.

Contact your council and ask to make a homelessness application. You don’t have to be sleeping on the street to get help and, depending on your circumstances, the council might have to find you emergency accommodation while it is thinking about what other help to give you.

What can social services do?

If you’re under the age of 18, have been in care in the past, or have a disability, you may be entitled to help from social services. Click here to find more details.

Help with housing costs

If you’ve had to move in an emergency and you’ve no money you might be able to get some financial help from the Discretionary Assistance Fund or apply for a budgeting loan from the social fund.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: April 3, 2018

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize