Court orders

Most council tenants cannot be evicted unless the council obtains a possession order from the court.

What do I do if I receive court papers?

If you receive papers from the court telling you that the council have applied for a possession order, it is important that you get advice straight away.

The sooner you get advice, the more likely you are to keep your home.

If you have no adviser, some courts have a duty adviser or solicitors available on the day of the hearing who may be able to help you.  Always try to attend court yourself.

For more information about what to expect during the court process, click here.

What orders can the court make?

If you have a secure council tenancy it is likely that the court will make one of the following orders:

  • dismiss the claim
  • adjourn (postpone) the hearing (this might be on a condition, for example, that you regularly pay your rent and something towards the arrears)
  • make a suspended possession order
  • make an outright possession order
  • make a money judgment.

For more information on each of these orders, see our page on What orders can be made?

If you have an introductory or demoted tenancy, the court will not have so much choice about what order to make. It is important that you seek advice.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
0345 075 5005

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

This page was last updated on: May 7, 2019

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.