Eviction by the bailiffs for housing association tenants

If you haven’t left by the date the court ordered you to leave, the housing association can arrange for a bailiff to evict you. Bailiffs are employed by the court. You will receive a letter from the court saying when the bailiffs will arrive. Bailiffs can physically remove you and your belongings from the property, but they must not use violence or unreasonable force in doing so.

It is sometimes possible to apply to the court to stop the bailiffs from evicting you. You should get specialist legal advice immediately if you want to do this.

No-one other than a bailiff acting for the county court is allowed to remove you from the accommodation. If anyone else attempts to do this, they are likely to be guilty of illegal eviction, which is a serious offence. Contact an Shelter Cymru advice surgery straight away if this happens to you.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
0345 075 5005

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

Page last updated: Nov 7, 2016 @ 5:14 pm

This page was last updated on: November 7, 2016

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.