Going to court over domestic violence

Victims of domestic violence may want to consider taking action in the county court as well as or instead of reporting the violence to the police. There are generally two reasons why a person who has suffered domestic violence may want to take action against the perpetrator in the county court:

  • to obtain an injunction or order to prevent further violence occurring
  • to obtain damages for any injury or loss.

You will need to seek advice from a solicitor who specializes in family law in order to pursue any of these options. You may be able to find one through the Law Society or your local Women’s Aid.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
0345 075 5005

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

Page last updated: May 23, 2016 @ 2:57 pm

This page was last updated on: May 23, 2016

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.