Renting is changing in Wales on July 15th: Find out more here

How can the council help with emergency housing?

The council has a legal responsibility to provide emergency accommodation for certain groups of people.

If you are homeless or in danger of losing your home in the next 56 days the council might have to help you. You should contact the homelessness department and explain that you need help.

If the council has reason to believe you may be:

the council should offer you emergency housing while they are deciding what else they can do for you.

At the very least, the council has to look into your situation and give you advice to help you find or keep a home.

For more information on how the council can help you with emergency accommodation click here.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

Page last updated: Dec 2, 2020 @ 5:29 pm

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: December 2, 2020

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.