Paying for housing

Housing problems often begin because of financial difficulties. If you don’t have much money it can be difficult to find a decent home and if you can’t pay the rent or mortgage you could face eviction.

This section explains what help there is to pay for housing, including Housing Benefit, Universal Credit and help to pay for essential items. It also includes information about tenancy deposits (bonds) and what to do if you fall in to arrears.

Whatever your situation, you should get advice immediately if you are having problems paying for your accommodation. Being threatened with eviction doesn’t necessarily mean that you will lose your home – it may be possible to sort things out, even if the bailiffs are on the way. But you need to act quickly.

If you need further advice, call Shelter Cymru’s expert housing advice helpine on 0345 075 5005. You could also email our housing advice team, or, if you prefer, visit advice near you to find a local Shelter Cymru advice surgery where you can talk to someone in person.

Contact us

For urgent advice please call our expert housing advice helpline on 0345 075 5005

or, for non-urgent enquiries please use our email advice service. An adviser will aim to reply to emails within five working days.

Advice near you

Advice near you
Shelter Cymru operate numerous advice centres and surgeries across Wales. To find out when there is an adviser in your area, visit advice near you and find your local area.

Housing Benefit and the Council Tax Reduction Scheme

If you rent your home and you are on a low income or benefits, you might be entitled to Housing Benefit or a reduction to your Council Tax bill.

The benefit cap

The benefit cap puts a limit on the total amount of welfare benefits many people can be paid.

Help with heating costs

There are a number of ways you can reduce the amount you spend on heating during the cold winter months.

Help to buy essential items

If you don’t have money for essential things like a bed or a fridge, find out where you can turn for help.

Tenancy deposits

Most private landlords ask new tenants to pay a deposit in case the tenant causes damage to the property or doesn’t pay the rent or bills.

Rent in advance

Private landlords often ask for one month’s rent to be paid in advance at the start of a tenancy.

Paying for care and support

This section looks at how to pay for care and support, and what help is available.

Universal credit

Universal credit is a new monthly benefit that’s being introduced in stages across the UK for people out of work or on a low income. It will eventually replace housing benefit, income support, income-related employment and support allowance, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, child tax credits and working tax credits.

Other benefits

There are many different types of welfare benefits available and it’s important to check whether you are getting everything you are entitled to.

Rent and rent increases

Different tenancies have different rules about the rent that can be charged and how a landlord can increase the rent.

Arrears and dealing with debt

If you are struggling to pay your rent, or are at risk of losing your home because you owe your landlord rent, you need to take action.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

This page was last updated on: September 8, 2017

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.