Renting is changing in Wales on July 15th: Find out more here

How can I get my landlord to protect my deposit?

Your landlord should protect your deposit without you having to ask, but if they don’t, you can take some steps to try and ensure that they do.

Use our sample letters below to help you.

Step 1 : Write to your landlord

Firstly, write to your landlord.

Ask if your deposit is protected and if so, which scheme they have used. If it’s not protected, ask that they  place your deposit in one of the approved tenancy deposit protection schemes.

Use our sample letter TD1.

Remember, your landlord has 30 days to protect your deposit.

Step 2 : Write again

If you don’t get a reply from your landlord, try writing to your landlord again.

Use our sample letter TD2.

Step 3 : Threaten court action

If you still don’t get a response, you could consider court action.

A county court can order :

  • that your landlord either protects your deposit or returns it to you
  • that you should be awarded compensation between 1 and 3 times the amount of the deposit.

Before you start any court action you must send the landlord a ‘letter before action’.  This warns the landlord that you plan to go court, but gives them the opportunity to respond to you and avoid this.

Your letter before action must give the landlord a deadline to respond. Allow at least 14 days.

The letter before action should set out the legal arguments you would use in court, including details of a claim for compensation and any evidence you will be relying on to back up your case.

See our page on Considering court action for more advice and, if you decide to proceed, use our sample letter before action TD3.

Are there any risks of taking action against my landlord?

There is a risk your landlord might decide to end your tenancy if you take action to get your deposit protected. However, remember that if your deposit isn’t protected your landlord won’t be able to use the section 21 notice procedure to end your tenancy unless:

  • the deposit is returned to you (minus any agreed deductions)
  • you have made a claim in the court because your landlord hasn’t followed the tenancy deposit protection scheme rules and either: the court has made a decision about what should happen to your deposit, you’ve withdrawn your claim, or  you and your landlord have settled the matter out of court.

If your landlord tries to evict you without following the proper legal procedure they are acting unlawfully. For more information, see our page on illegal eviction.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: December 3, 2020

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.