Renting and leasing

Whether you are renting or leasing, you have rights. If you rent your home or are a leaseholder, you have a legal agreement with the landlord or freeholder. This gives you rights and responsibilities.

Check any agreement you have carefully and ask questions about anything you’re not sure of. But bear in mind that you may have more rights than you think – there are laws to regulate how renting and leasing work. If your agreement doesn’t comply, it may not be legally binding. This could make a big difference if the landlord or freeholder is being unreasonable, or wants you to leave.

These pages explain tenants’ rights but do not give information about leaseholders’ rights and responsibilities. If you are a leaseholder and are unsure of your rights, go to the Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) website for information and advice.

If you require further advice, call Shelter Cymru’s Advice and Support Services on 0345 075 5005 or visit advice near you to find an advice surgery locally where you can talk to someone in person.

Contact us

For urgent advice please call our expert housing advice helpline on 0345 075 5005

or, for non-urgent enquiries please use our email advice service. An adviser will aim to reply to emails within five working days.

Advice near you

Advice near you
Shelter Cymru operate numerous advice centres and surgeries across Wales. To find out when there is an adviser in your area, visit advice near you and find your local area.

Private tenants

Private tenants can have several different types of tenancy. Some of these give you more rights than others.

Council tenants

Council tenants usually have stronger rights than most private rented tenants. The type of tenancy agreement the council give you will affect many of your rights.

Housing association tenants

Not all tenants of Housing Associations have the same protection from eviction.

Assured shorthold tenancies

This section explains the rights you have if you have an assured shorthold tenancy with a private landlord.

Assured tenancies

This section explains the rights you have if you are an assured tenant with a private landlord.

Renting agreements

If you are renting your home, you either have a tenancy or a licence to live in the property.

Sharing and subletting

Sharing a home with other people can be great fun, but it’s important to choose carefully who you live with

Ending a tenancy or licence

You must end your agreement properly if you want to leave. If you don’t you may still be liable to pay rent

Mobile home tenancies

This page helps you work out what kind of tenancy you may have if you rent a mobile home from a landlord

Agricultural tenancies

This page briefly explains the housing rights of people who live in homes as part of their job on a farm

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Page last updated: May 4, 2016 @ 10:38 am