Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

What can you do when the power goes off?

The electricity in your home can go off for a variety of reasons. It may be because of an electrical fault in your property, a supply problem in the area, or because it has been cut off.

Resetting the ‘trip switch’

First of all, locate your consumer unit (fuseboard) and check whether the residual current device (RCD) and/or a circuit-breaker has ‘tripped’ (turned off).

An RCD is a switching device that trips a circuit under certain fault conditions, and disconnects the electricity supply. Circuit-breakers are automatic protection devices fitted in the consumer unit which switch off a circuit if there is a fault.

If the lights are not working, a lighting circuit-breaker may have tripped due to a bulb blowing. You will need to reset the circuit-breaker by switching it back on, the lights should now work. If they do not come back on, you will need to contact an electrician.

If it is your sockets that are not working, a circuit-breaker and/or the RCD may have tripped due to a faulty appliance being plugged in. You will not be able to reset either of the devices until the faulty item has been unplugged from the circuit. If you are not sure which appliance has caused the problem, unplug all appliances, reset the circuit breaker and/or RCD by switching it back on. Plug each appliance back in, one by one, until the faulty item (which trips the circuit) is found.

If you cannot reset the circuit breaker and/or RCD even with all the appliances disconnected, call a qualified electrician. Always use an electrician who is listed on the Registered Competent Persons website. This means that they are registered with a Government-approved scheme and can issue a certificate to prove that the work has been done properly and is safe.

Visit the Electrical Safety First website for more help and advice about what to do.

Power cuts

If the residual current device (RCD) or circuit-breaker has not tripped, there may be a power cut in your area. Your local electricity network operator or supplier should be able to tell you if a power cut has occurred and, if so, how long it’s likely to last.

If there has been a power cut, switch off and unplug any expensive electrical items such as your hi-fi, TV and computer – this will prevent them getting damaged when the power returns. If you need to use candles for light, never leave them unattended.

You might be able to claim compensation for power cuts. Whether you can claim will depend on:

  • how long the power was cut for
  • if the power cut was planned.

For more information on claiming compensation see citizens advice.


Due to unpaid bills
If you have not paid your electricity bill, it’s possible that your supplier may have disconnected your energy supply. However, this should only be a last resort for your supplier, and you should always be given plenty of warning. There are steps you can take if you are having problems paying your bills. You should contact your supplier as soon as possible to discuss the options you might have or speak to a Shelter Cymru debt adviser.

By your landlord
Your landlord may be guilty of harassment if s/he removes or restricts your access to essential services such as gas, electricity or water, or fails to pay the bills so that these services are cut off. Harassment by a landlord is a serious criminal offence. You may be able to get help from the council’s tenancy relations officer, or take your landlord to court.

If you are in this situation, contact an adviser who can help you

Making a complaint about an energy supplier

If you are not happy with the service you receive from your supplier you can make a complaint. If you are not satisfied with their response, you may be able to take your complaint further. Visit the Energy Ombudsman website for more information.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Page last updated: Jun 21, 2017 @ 2:39 pm

This page was last updated on: June 21, 2017

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize