Complaining to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales

If the council or housing association won’t carry out repairs to your home and you’ve tried using your landlord’s complaints procedure but you’re not satisfied with the result, you may be able to complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales.

What can the Ombudsman do?

The Ombudsman will not investigate every complaint made to them. If they do decide to investigate your complaint, they will look into the way your landlord has dealt with your request for repairs, and assess whether they acted fairly and followed the correct procedures. If they agree with your complaint, they can recommend that your landlord takes steps to put things right, and may suggest that they pay you compensation.

The Ombudsman’s decisions are not legally binding, but most landlords will usually follow them.

How do I make a complaint?

The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales has information and forms explaining how to make a complaint on their website. You have to complain in writing and should include any evidence to support your complaint, such as:

  • photographs showing the repairs that need to be done.
  • photographs of damaged belongings
  • copies of any letters you sent to your landlord
  • copies of any doctor’s notes or hospital reports which show that your health has been affected by the problem
  • receipts for any money you need to spend because of the repair problem (eg if you had to replace damaged belongings).

It is worth getting advice before you make your complaint. A Shelter Cymru adviser can help you put together the arguments you will need, and might be able to help you fill in the forms.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
0345 075 5005

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

This page was last updated on: November 21, 2018

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.