Housing advice: coronavirus (COVID-19)

Aged 16-25?  Visit our dedicated page Coronavirus : advice for young people

Many people are worried about coronavirus and how it could affect their housing.  Click on the topics below to help work out what it means for you.

Paying your rent

Paying your mortgage

Paying other bills

Claiming benefits


Keeping safe


Moving during the pandemic

Homelessness help

Other help

Guidance and advice is changing quickly. Check back regularly for updates.

See the current Welsh Government advice and FAQs.

See Public Health Wales for up to date health advice.

Worried about paying your rent?

If your income has dropped and you are worried about paying rent, tell your landlord or agent straight away. They might be sympathetic and agree to late rent or a rent reduction for a temporary period.

We have set out below some sample wording you could use to send to your landlord or agent in a letter, email or text. Make sure any agreement you make is in writing.

If you are struggling to pay your rent there might be some financial help available. This could include :

You might also be able to apply for the following schemes:

Breathing Space scheme
If you have rent arrears you may eligible for the Breathing Space scheme. This gives you time to get some specialist debt advice without the pressure of formal action being taken against you. To find out more about the scheme and how to apply, click here.

Your landlord can still try and increase your rent during the coronavirus outbreak but they must use the right procedure to do so.

Some landlords can apply for a break in mortgage payments if their tenants are struggling to pay rent due to coronavirus, but this won’t always be possible.

To read our full advice about dealing with rent arrears, click here.

Negotiating a reduction in your rent because of coronavirus

If you are having problems paying your rent because of coronavirus, you must tell your landlord as soon as you can.

You might be able to come to an agreement or negotiate a reduction in your rent.

Use the sample text below to help you put together an email or text.

Click anywhere in the white box to make changes. Delete or change parts marked with an *.

Once you’re done, click copy text to clipboard. Check and save your message before you send it.

Worried about paying your mortgage?

If your income has dropped and you are worried about paying your mortgage, speak to your lender as soon as possible.

During the pandemic mortgage lenders were offering payment holidays, but the deadline for applying for a holiday has now passed.

If you are finding it difficult to pay your mortgage, even if you have had a payment holiday, your mortgage lender should offer you support. It’s important to discuss the support you need with your lender as soon as possible.

If you cancel your mortgage payment direct debit without telling your mortgage lender, then it will be classed as a missed payment and you could risk having your home repossessed.

When you speak with your lender, give them as much information as possible about your circumstances, so that they can offer you the appropriate support. The support could include:

  • Making a part payment for a short time
  • Extending the length of your mortgage
  • Changing the type of mortgage you have.

Check if you have insurance that will cover your mortgage payments instead. For example, mortgage payment protection insurance or through your current account.

Breathing Space scheme
If you have mortgage arrears you may eligible for the Breathing Space scheme. This gives you time to get some specialist debt advice without the pressure of formal action being taken against you. To find out more about the scheme and how to apply, click here.

Read our advice on how to deal with mortgage arrears.

For more information on eviction if you have a mortgage, see our pages on mortgage repossession.

Can I get help paying my other bills?

If you are struggling financially because of coronavirus you might be able to get help with your bills and other essential items.

Discretionary Assistance Fund
The Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) provides urgent grants to people in Wales as a last resort. Applications are being treated more flexibly until the 31 March 2022. Watch our Youtube video to find out more about the DAF and how to apply.

Council Tax Reduction
If your situation has changed because of the pandemic you may now qualify for a reduction in your council tax. Click here to find out more.

Energy and water bills
If you are worried about your gas or electricity bills, contact your supplier as soon as you can. You could get support including:

  • reduced bills or debt repayments
  • a temporary break in your bills or debt arrangements
  • a change to your bill payment plan
  • an agreement for someone else to top up your pre-payment meter.

If you are on certain benefits, you might qualify for a one-off £200 cash payment from the Welsh Government Winter Fuel Support Scheme. To find out more about this and other types of help you might be able to get, click here.

Contact your local food bank if you need help with food. Find out more on the Trussell Trust website.

If you are worried about getting in to debt, Shelter Cymru provides free, independent, confidential, specialist debt advice. You can also check out our advice pages on cash in a crisis to find other sources of help.


You might qualify for benefits or financial help if:

  • you lose your job
  • you can’t work because you’re sick or self isolating
  • your pay goes down because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

Universal credit
If you are working age and on a low income you might be able to apply for universal credit. Universal credit can include a claim for help with your housing costs, including rent payments. You can usually get a universal credit advance within a few days if you can’t wait 5 weeks for your first payment. Most claims for universal credit are made online. Click here for more details about how to apply. Don’t delay in making your claim.

Self Isolation payment
If you are losing income because you:

  • have tested positive for coronavirus and/or
  • been told to self isolate by the NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect system

you might be able to apply for a £750 self-isolation payment. If you were self-isolating before the 7 August 2021 the payment will be £500.

You must be in receipt of a qualifying benefit or be on a low income to apply. Find out more about the self-isolation payment here.

Other benefits
Find out more about what else you can claim on the entitledto website.

See Citizens Advice for more information on:

  • statutory sick pay
  • benefits if you’re self employed.

If you are vulnerable, homeless or need emergency help phone your local Jobcentre Plus. To find their contact details, and to find out more about claiming benefits and coronavirus click here.

For more advice on what to do if you are already claiming benefits or how to claim benefits, click here.

Follow @DWP on Twitter for up to date information.

Can my landlord evict me because of coronavirus?

It is illegal for your landlord to evict you without following the proper steps. It does not matter if your landlord wants to evict you because of coronavirus – they must still follow the same steps.

It is likely to be an illegal eviction if your landlord:

  • makes you leave without the right notice or a court order
  • locks you out of your home.

If your landlord tries to evict you or is harassing you or your family, get advice urgently. See our pages on harassment and illegal eviction and contact your local council, Rent Smart Wales or the police.

I have had an eviction notice from my landlord - what should I do?

Emergency laws were introduced in Wales to deal with evictions during the pandemic.

Between 29 September 2020 and 24 March 2022, most tenants in Wales were entitled to 6 months’ notice before their landlord could start court action to evict them. This included:

  • assured shorthold tenants
  • assured tenants
  • regulated tenants
  • secure council tenants
  • introductory tenants
  • demoted tenants.

What if I receive a notice from my landlord after the 24 March 2022?

The emergency laws ended on the 24 March 2022. This means, if you receive a notice after the 24 March 2022, the amount of notice you are entitled to depends on the type of tenancy you have. For example, if you have an assured shorthold tenancy and your landlord is serving a ‘section 21’ (or ‘no fault’) notice, the notice will need to be 2 months in length.

Check the notice rules if you are:

My landlord has started court proceedings to evict me - what do I do next?

Courts are open and possession cases are taking place.

Some new stages in the possession process were introduced during the coronavirus pandemic. These included:

Reactivation Notices: if your landlord started court proceedings before 3 August 2020 the case was probably put on hold for a time. If your landlord wanted to re-start the case they had to send a Reactivation Notice to you and the court, giving information about the impact coronavirus had on you and your family. Since 1 December 2021 Reactivation Notices are no longer required.

Review Date: up until 1 November 2021 the court had to set a Review Date 4 weeks before a possession hearing, so that the judge could review the papers and see if an agreement could be reached before a court hearing took place. Review Dates are no longer required but some courts might decide to continue with them. If you receive notice of a Review Date speak to an adviser as soon as you can. You might be able to get legal help on the day.

Bailiff eviction: bailiffs in Wales were banned from carrying out evictions during the pandemic. This ban ended on the 30 June 2021. From that date bailiffs have been able to carry out evictions regardless of the reason for eviction.

If you have received possession papers or a notice of eviction from the county court use our guide to find out what will happen next.

Always get advice if possession proceedings have started against you. It might not be too late to stop or delay any eviction.

Keeping safe when you are staying at home

If you have to self-isolate but staying at home puts you or your family at risk of abuse from someone else in the household, you should get help.

Call the Live Fear Free helpline on 0808 80 10 800 (free and confidential) or visit Welsh Women’s Aid advice page on Safety and Self-Care Advice for Survivors in Isolation.

Women’s Aid also have lots of help and easy to read information on their website.

Men can contact the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 8010327 and The Dyn Project in Wales.

If you are in immediate danger, call the police on 999. Police will still come to your home. If you cannot safely talk out loud or make noise you can use The Silent Solution system.

If you feel it is not safe to stay at home but you have nowhere to go, get help from your local council’s homelessness department. Visit our advice pages on domestic abuse for more information.

How can I self-isolate if I am living in shared accommodation / hostels etc?

If you share your accommodation with others, for example, you rent a shared house, are staying in a hostel, or are sofa-surfing, you must tell those you live with if you:

  • feel unwell and think you may have coronavirus
  • have been advised to self-isolate.

Try to avoid visiting shared spaces such as kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas as much as possible.

If possible, ask for a suitable alternative self-contained space until you are fully recovered. This could be in the same building.

For tips on what other steps you can take to keep safe, click here.

For up to date Welsh Government guidance on ways to avoid spreading Covid-19 whilst self-isolating , click here.

Can my landlord come around to carry out repairs?

Landlords have the same responsibilities for repairs during the coronavirus pandemic. You should report repairs by phone, email or online.

They might not be able to get the problem fixed during the usual timescales but shouldn’t delay repairs unreasonably.

You normally have to allow your landlord access to carry out repairs but you can ask your landlord to postpone any repairs which are not urgent. Anyone who comes to carry out repairs should follow Welsh Government guidance on social distancing.

Annual gas safety checks remain an important legal requirement but they should be rearranged if they cannot go ahead safely because someone in your home is self isolating. Further guidance for tenants and landlords is available on the Gas Safe Register website.

Read about access to your rented home for repairs here.

Leaving your tenancy early

If you want to leave your tenancy early because of coronavirus, you must make sure you end your tenancy correctly. You will still be responsible for paying your rent if you don’t.

You can only end a fixed term tenancy early if your tenancy agreement has a break clause or you negotiate an early end to the agreement with your landlord.

Contact your landlord as soon as you can and explain your situation. They may be sympathetic to your request to leave if they understand your reasons.

Find out more about leaving a tenancy early here.

Moving house

You should not move home if you’re self isolating or have tested positive for coronavirus. Any move should be delayed.

If you were shielding and/or at higher risk from coronavirus due to health reasons, you should discuss the move with your GP first.

Can I view a new property?

Initial property viewings should be done online.

If, after an online viewing, you remain interested in a property it is usually a good idea to visit the property in person before you sign a contract. You should follow Welsh Government guidance on social distancing during a viewing, wear a face mask and try to make sure no one is in the property when you view it.

You shouldn’t view a property in person if you’re self isolating or you have symptoms.

Can I stop prospective new tenants viewing my home?

Yes.  Your landlord or agent can only arrange a physical viewing of your home with your agreement.

Tell your landlord or agent if you are self-isolating or have symptoms of coronavirus. Viewings should not happen in those circumstances.

You could offer to show the property to new tenants through a virtual viewing on your phone.

Rough sleeping, in temporary accommodation or sofa surfing?

Many local councils in Wales worked hard to provide accommodation and support during the coronavirus pandemic to people who were sleeping rough.

If you do not have anywhere to live you should contact your local council or your support worker as soon as you can. Find contact details for your local council here.

The council should help you make a homelessness application and, if you are sleeping rough, or at risk of finding yourself on the street, they should give you emergency accommodation. This is because coronavirus can spread very easily and if you are sleeping on the streets it is very difficult for you to keep to the government health advice for hygiene, self-isolation and social distancing.

Take a look at our step-by-step guide to making a homelessness application.

If the council says it cannot help you, get advice straight away.

If you are worried about someone that you have seen sleeping rough, you can use the Streetlink website to send an alert and Streetlink will help to link that person up with local support.

You can also look at the Welsh Government information leaflet for rough sleepers.

Sleeping rough during Covid-19

Where can I get more help?

Visit our Get Advice page, call our free helpline or use our webchat.

Read the Welsh Government guidance Renting a home : coronavirus.

The Senedd Research coronavirus page has lots of help and information for people living in Wales, including information on health and social care and education.

For more support with money, have a look at the Money Helper coronavirus support page. You can also use their Money Navigator Tool to give you an action plan based on your individual circumstances.

If you are feeling anxious or stressed during this difficult time there are helplines that can support you.

Call the Samaritans for free on 116 123, their lines are always open and you can talk to them about anything.

We’re currently taking a high number of calls from people who are worried about losing their jobs, their homes, and keeping their families safe during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Please give £10 today and help us to continue to support as many people as we can during this difficult time.

Text HOME to 70480* to give £10 or click here to make a single or regular donation.

Thank you.

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: November 7, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.