Mediation, counselling and support

Mediation or counselling support might help you deal with your housing problem.

A mediator is someone who is independent and not involved in the dispute. They can help you to come to an agreement. They could be a member of your local community or someone with a professional qualification.

Use the Civil Mediation Council search tool to find a mediation service in your local area, or contact national organisations such as UK Mediation or National Family Mediation.

Young people who have fallen out with parents or carers

If you are a young person living at home, but you have been asked to leave and you don’t want to, mediation may help. If you are under 18 social services or the councils’ housing department can get in touch with your parents or carers to arrange a mediation meeting. Mediation can help you to come to a mutually satisfactory solution to enable you to stay at, or return home.

Please be aware that if you are at risk of violence or abuse at home mediation will probably not be appropriate. If the council are insisting that you go to mediation but you do not want to then get help immediately.

People who are splitting up with a partner

Couples experiencing the breakdown of a relationship can approach organisations such as Relate to help with relationship difficulties. They can work with the couple to try and resolve any difficulties. Mediation can help couples that are splitting up come to an amicable arrangement about the family home and care of children.

People involved in neighbour disputes

If you are having a dispute with a neighbour it is a good idea to seek mediation to resolve problems before they get worse.

Many community landlords have access to mediation services for their contract-holders. If you rent privately, or own your home, you can find a mediator independently (see above).

People who need emotional or practical support

Housing law is very complex. If you are not familiar with housing issues, resolving a housing problem can be a daunting prospect. As well as your housing situation, there may be other issues that need resolving, for example if:

  • You are in (or you have just left) a violent relationship
  • You have been abused
  • You have a drink or drug problem
  • You have a lot of debt

You might want to get counselling to help you cope better with your situation. There are specialist organisations that can arrange counselling for you. Or you can ask your doctor about counselling services. Alternatively, there are a number of specialist agencies that help people with particular needs.

Other pages in homelessness

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an adviser
email us

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: January 2, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.