How will my credit rating be affected?

People with a history of debt problems often find it difficult to get a tenancy or mortgage. They usually check your credit history with credit reference agencies such as Experian and Equifax.

You can write to the credit reference agency asking for a copy of the information they hold on you. You normally have to pay a small fee, but may not have to pay if a specialist adviser does this for you. The agency should send you a copy of the information they hold on you within seven working days, and information about how you can change the information if it is not correct. If the agency refuses to change information that is incorrect, get advice.

You may be able to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

Page last updated: Dec 3, 2020 @ 4:09 pm

Did you find this helpful?

This page was last updated on: December 3, 2020

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.