Renting from a private landlord

If you rent your home and your landlord is not the council or a housing association then you have a private landlord  

Most renting agreements given by private landlords are standard occupation contractsThere are two main types of standard occupation contract: 

  • Fixed term standard contracts – this means your contract lasts for a specific length of time (but you can’t be evicted at the end of the fixed term without a court order), and;  
  • Periodic standard contracts – this means your contract does not have an end date, but rolls forward with each rental period. 

There are some situations where you might have a  different kind of renting agreement. For example, if you share certain parts of the accommodation with your landlord you may not have a standard contract. 

If you are not sure what type of contract you have get help. 

Take a look at the options below to find out more. 

Did you find this helpful?

Yn anffodus, ni allwn ddarparu'r wybodaeth hon yn Gymraeg. Mae cyfieithiad Cymraeg ar gael trwy'r ddolen Cymorth Clyweledol ar frig y dudalen. Fodd bynnag, ni fydd y cyfieithiad yn gwbl gywir bob amser gan ei fod yn cael ei gynhyrchu'n awtomatig
Unfortunately, we cannot provide this information in Welsh. There is a Welsh translation available via the Audio Visual Help link at the top of the page. However, these will not always be completely accurate as they are automatically generated.

This page was last updated on: December 4, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.