Doing the repairs yourself

If you have caused damage to the property, or if your landlord is refusing to do repairs which are their responsibility, then you might need to do the repairs yourself.

In both situations you must follow the correct procedure and understand the risks involved.

Download our disrepair factsheet for further information.

Responsibility for damage

If you accidentally or deliberately damage your home in any way, you will be responsible.

It may be better to get the damage repaired yourself – otherwise you could lose your deposit when you leave. Get the landlord’s agreement before any work is started and always get receipts for any work you have done, and for any parts or materials you buy.

What if my landlord is refusing or delaying carrying out repairs?

Agreeing with your landlord for work to be done yourself

If your landlord has agreed that the repairs need doing but hasn’t done them yet, they may be happy for you to arrange for the work to be done. Ask your landlord to confirm in writing that they will pay for everything before the work is started. They may want you to get estimates from more than one contractor before they will agree to this.

Withholding rent

You do not have the right to stop paying rent because your landlord won’t do repairs. Your landlord can take steps to evict you if you don’t pay the rent, even if you have a good reason why you are not paying.

If you do decide to stop paying rent, you should keep the rent money aside in a separate bank account. This will ensure that you can pay off the rent arrears immediately if you have to.

Doing the work yourself and deducting the cost from the rent

It is possible to do repairs without your landlord’s agreement and take the cost out of your rent but it is very risky. You must follow the correct procedure (see below) otherwise you risk being evicted for rent arrears.

Other pages in repairs and bad conditions

Repairs in private tenancies
Repairs in social housing

Home safety
Getting adaptations
Problems with neighbours
Mobile home site conditions

See all advice topics

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

How to deduct repair costs from rent

You must follow all the steps below if you want to pay for repairs and take the cost out of your rent. Otherwise, your landlord could evict you.

Be sure to keep copies of all letters and emails, and keep accurate records of what you have paid and when.


Write to your landlord letting them know what repairs are needed and allow time for them to be done.


Write to your landlord telling them that you will arrange the work yourself unless they are done within a certain time.


Get 3 quotes for the repair work from reliable contractors.


Send the quotes to your landlord.


If your landlord hasn’t responded, arrange for the work to be done by the contractor that gave the cheapest quote.


Pay for the work yourself and send a copy of the receipt to your landlord, asking them to refund the money.


If your landlord doesn’t pay you, write and confirm that you are going to deduct the money from your future rent.

Will I be responsible for the quality of the work?

Yes. Make sure the repairs are carried out properly – whether you do them yourself or get a professional in to do them. Never try to do them yourself if you’re not sure what you’re doing, or if gas or electricity is involved. If you carry out or arrange repairs that are done badly, you’ll be legally responsible for the consequences.

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: February 11, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.