Breathing Space is a new scheme to help if you are struggling with debt, including help if you have rent or mortgage arrears.
The scheme can:
- Give you time to sort out your debts and arrears – without the added pressure of action being taken against you
- Stop people or organisations you owe money to from demanding payment or taking action, whist you get free quality debt advice
- Give you the chance to get a handle on your money matters without the stress and worry of increasing debt and scary letters.
There are two types of breathing space:
- Standard breathing space – this can last up to 60 days
- Mental health crisis breathing space – this can last as long as any specialist mental health treatment you are receiving, plus an extra 30 days.
Find out more about Breathing Space, and how to apply here.
Yn anffodus, ni allwn ddarparu'r wybodaeth hon yn Gymraeg. Mae cyfieithiad Cymraeg ar gael trwy'r ddolen Cymorth Clyweledol ar frig y dudalen. Fodd bynnag, ni fydd y cyfieithiad yn gwbl gywir bob amser gan ei fod yn cael ei gynhyrchu'n awtomatig
Unfortunately, we cannot provide this information in Welsh. There is a Welsh translation available via the Audio Visual Help link at the top of the page. However, these will not always be completely accurate as they are automatically generated.
This page was last updated on: October 1, 2021
Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.