If you rent your home, your rights and responsibilities will depend on who your landlord is and what type of renting agreement you have.  Most renting agreements are ‘occupation contracts’ but there are some exceptions.

Find out in this section about the different types of renting agreements and what your rights and responsibilities are. 

This section will also help you work out your rights if you are sharing accommodation and how to end an occupation contract. 

Shelter Cymru does not give advice to leaseholders. If you are a leaseholder visit The Leasehold Advisory Service (LEASE) website for information and advice. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: April 25, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.