Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

Emergency Help

If you find yourself in a situation where you have nowhere to stay, don’t panic : get advice as soon as you can.

Call Shelter Cymru’s expert housing advice helpline on 08000 495 495. If you prefer, visit advice near you to find a local Shelter Cymru advice surgery where you can talk to someone in person.

I need somewhere to sleep tonight

The council’s housing department should be your first stop as they can help you access many different types of accommodation. It does not matter if you are not actually sleeping on the street – they might still have to help you.

Contact your local council and ask to make a homelessness application. If you do not know how to contact them, click here.

If you are homeless the council will have to provide you with some help and advice and this may include providing you with some emergency accommodation. They may also have to help you find a home, or in some situations, help you keep your current home.

Watch our Youtube video :

If the council refuse to help you, call us on 08000 495 495.

Leaving home in a hurry?

If you are over the age of 16 and your parents or carers want you out of the house, try and find somewhere to stay before you leave.  Print our Emergency help for young people checklist for good suggestions of things to take with you and organisations to contact.

Mediation or counselling might be able to help you talk through and work out problems with your family.

Too scared to go home?

If you feel unsafe or in danger at home, it may be best to leave straight away. Try to contact an adviser before you go and arrange some emergency housing in advance.

If someone in your home is being violent or abusive towards you, you must get help immediately. If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police.

You can also call:

What can social services do?

If you’re under the age of 18, have been in care in the past, or have a disability, you may be entitled to help from social services. Click here to find more details.

Help with housing costs

If you’ve had to move in an emergency and you’ve no money you might be able to get some financial help from the Discretionary Assistance Fund or apply for a budgeting loan from the social fund.

Check out our information on housing costs, or, if you need help managing your money or dealing with debts, see our money advice pages.

Shelter Cymru also provide a free, specialist, independent, confidential debt advice service surgeries across Wales. Click here to find details of your nearest debt adviser.

On the streets

If you find yourself on the streets, try to stay safe, and get help and advice as soon as you possibly can. See our pages on Sleeping on the streets for details of places that can help you.

Phone an adviser

If you have a housing problem, call our expert housing advice helpline
08000 495 495

Email an adviser

If you have a non-urgent problem and would like to speak to an advisor
email us

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: June 5, 2018

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize