Emergency laws mean that:
- Most tenants who get an eviction notice between 26 March 2020 and 30 September 2020 are entitled to 3 months’ notice before their landlord can apply to court
- All court proceedings for eviction are on hold until at least the 23 August 2020.
- These new laws apply to secure, introductory and demoted tenancies.
- If you have received a Notice Seeking Possession or a notice to end your introductory tenancy from your landlord you should stay in your home. Evictions take time and you don’t have to leave at the end of your notice under current law.
- If your landlord has already applied to the court then your case will be put off until after the 23 August 2020. The court will tell you when any new hearing is, but this may take some time. If you are worried, ring your court to find out what has happened with your case.
- You should still pay your rent during any notice period or while you are waiting for a court hearing.