Renting from a community landlord

  • If you rent your home from a council or a housing association then you have a community landlord 
  • Your community landlord must issue you with an occupation contract 
  • Most contract-holders renting from community landlords will be given a secure occupation contract, but there are some important exceptions.  

If you moved into your home before 1 December 2022 the information on this page does not apply to you. Your tenancy agreement will have ‘converted’ into one of the types of occupation contracts. There are slightly different rules for these types of contracts. Please see our advice about converted contracts here. 

What is a community landlord?

Community landlords are councils or housing associations that rent out homes. Many councils have transferred their housing to housing associations, so there are not many local councils in Wales that still rent out housing directly. You can find out more about housing associations on Community Housing Cymru’s website.

What type of occupation contract do I have?

Most occupation contracts given by community landlords are secure contracts. There are some situations where you might have a different contract, these include: 

  • If you have lived in your home for less than a year and you have an introductory standard contract 
  • If you are living in supported accommodation 
  • If a court has changed your contract to a prohibited conduct standard contract because of antisocial behaviour   
  • If you are living in temporary or emergency accommodation 
  • If your community landlord gave notice that your contract is a standard contract (if this happens get help) 

If you are not sure what type of contract you have you should look at the documents you have been given by your landlord. Your landlord must give you a written contract within 14 days of your contract starting. This should clearly state what type of contract you have. If you think you may have been given the wrong type of occupation contract, get help.

If you are still not sure, or want to find out more about your rights and responsibilities, take a look at the options below.  

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: June 2, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.