Converted contracts: temporary accommodation

If you moved into emergency or temporary accommodation before 1 December 2022 because you are homeless then you might have a converted standard occupation contract, a ‘license’ or ‘common law’ tenancy. Select the option below which applies to you to find out what kind of renting agreement you have. 

If neither of the options below apply to you then you probably have a licence or common law tenancy.

If you live in Bed and Breakfast accommodation that is privately owned and managed, you will not have an occupation contract. Please visit our Temporary accommodation: licences and common law tenancies advice page.

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: December 4, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.