Gas safety precautions

  • All gas appliances in your property need to be safety checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer annually
  • If you rent your home and have gas appliances, your landlord must provide carbon monoxide alarms 

Gas safety precautions 

There are important steps you should take to keep your home safe. If you’re renting your home, many of these are your landlord’s responsibility. 

Check the danger signs around gas appliances 

Always be aware of danger signs around any gas appliance. These include: 

  • sooty marks 
  • yellow or orange flames instead of blue (although this probably won’t apply if you have a ‘real flame’ gas fire) 
  • pilot lights that blow out frequently 
  • excessive condensation on windows. 

The Gas Safe Register website has more information on things to look out for. Never use any gas appliance that you think might be unsafe.

Get a carbon monoxide detector 

A carbon monoxide detector is not the same as a smoke alarm. Carbon monoxide detectors alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide in the air by flashing a light and sounding an alarm. 

Ideally, you should have a detector in every room that contains gas appliances. If you have a gas fire in the bedroom, it’s particularly important to have a detector there. This is because carbon monoxide leaks are very dangerous when you’re asleep, as you won’t notice the initial warning signs, such as tiredness or dizziness. 

If you rent your home and have a secure or standard occupation contract, your landlord must provide working carbon monoxide detectors where there are gas appliances. Your landlord should have done this by 1 December 2022. 

If you have gas appliances and your landlord has not provided a carbon monoxide alarm, your home is classed as unfit to live in. If you are in this situation and your landlord is refusing to provide a carbon monoxide alarm, find out what you can do here.   

If your landlord won’t provide one, it may be worth considering fitting one yourself. You can buy them from most hardware or DIY shops for about £10. Make sure any detector you buy conforms to British standard BS7860. 

Have gas safety checks carried out every year 

All rented properties must have a valid gas safety certificate, a copy of which should be given to the contract-holder/s. 

Gas safety checks must be carried out by a registered gas installer. You can ask to see their Gas Safe Register ID card. The engineer will check: 

  • the gas supply pipework 
  • that all gas appliances are working safely 
  • that all gas flues are working safely and are suitable 
  • that gas appliances have adequate ventilation. 

Gas safety checks should be carried out at least once a year. If you are a contract-holder, it’s your landlord’s responsibility to arrange this. 

If you are disabled, chronically ill or of retirement age, you are entitled to free gas safety checks from your gas supplier as part of the Priority Services Register scheme.  To find out more about the scheme, click here. 

Get repair work carried out immediately 

If you suspect that any gas appliances in your home may be faulty, you should either: 

  • report this to your landlord immediately if you are renting, or 
  • get the appliance checked over by a registered gas engineer if you are a home owner. 

Repairs to gas equipment must be carried out by registered gas engineers. You can find a registered installer through the Gas Safe Register website. You may want to get more than one quote for the repairs. 

Before you let a gas engineer into your home, ask to see their Gas Safe Register identification first. If you’re not convinced that they’re genuine, check that the installer is listed on their website. 

Remember – never DIY with gas, it’s dangerous and likely to be illegal. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: February 16, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.