Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Many people are worried about Coronavirus (COVID-19) and how this could affect their housing. Click here to find out what COVID-19 means for you.

Repairs and bad conditions

This section provides information about the rights you have if your rented home needs repairs. It also explains what you can do if you are worried about safety, or your home has become unsuitable for you.

You can also download our Disrepair factsheet.

For urgent advice please call our expert housing advice helpline on 08000 495 495

or, for non-urgent enquiries please use our email advice service. An adviser will aim to reply to emails within five working days.

Repairs in private tenancies

If you are a private tenant and your home needs repairs, your landlord is responsible for most repairs

Repairs in social housing

This section explains the rights you have if your home needs repairs and you rent from a council or housing association

Home safety

This section looks at fire, gas and electrical safety. It explains how to prevent accidents and what you should do in an emergency

Getting adaptations

It may be possible to get adaptations carried out to make your home more suitable for you

Problems with neighbours

Find out what you can do if your neighbours are noisy or are harassing you. If you are having a dispute with a neighbour it is a good idea to seek mediation to resolve problems before they get worse.


Find out who qualifies as legally overcrowded and what you can do if you are living in overcrowded conditions.

Mobile home site conditions

If you live on a protected site, there are several options open to you, whether you rent or own your mobile home


Find out what you can do about rehousing and repairs if your home is flooded.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: December 3, 2020

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.

Font Resize