Repairs in social housing

This section explains what rights you have if your home needs repairs and you are a council or housing association tenant. If you are having problems because of disrepair, a Shelter Cymru advice centre may be able to help you.

Responsibility for repairs

This pages explains what responsibilites you have as a social housing tenant, which are likely to include carrying out minor maintenance and putting right any damage you have caused

Disrepair affecting health

If conditions in your rented home are bad, they could be harmful to your household’s health or cause a ‘statutory nuisance’ to your neighbours or the public

Reporting and allowing access

You must let your landlord know about any repairs that are needed. Doing this will help if there are problems later on

Right to repair scheme

If the repairs will cost less than £250, they are covered by the right to repair scheme, and should be carried out within a set amount of time

Disruption and poor work

This page looks at problems which may arise while repairs are being carried out to your council or housing association home

Withholding rent over repairs

Council and housing association tenants can only use their rent money to pay for repairs if they follow the correct procedure

Court action for disrepair

If your landlord refuses to carry out repairs, it may be possible to take them to court. This page explains the steps taken

Complaining to the Ombudsman

If you’ve already complained to the council or housing association about repairs to your home, and you’re not satisfied with your landlord’s response, you can ask the Ombudsman to investigate the matter.

We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 0345 075 5005.

This page was last updated on: June 3, 2017

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.