Useful links

In this section you will find a number of useful links to other organisations that may be able to help you with your problem. Click on the topics below or scroll down until you find what you need:

Homelessness and housing issues
Older people
People with disabilities
Young people
Drug, alcohol and gambling support
Mental health issues
Single parents
People in need of care and/or support
Armed forces personnel

Homelessness and housing issues

Shelter Cymru
Contact Shelter Cymru for expert housing advice:

  • Shelter Cymru runs advice surgeries in locations all over Wales. Click on advice near you to find details of your nearest surgery. Each surgery has advisers with knowledge of housing law and local housing options.They can offer free legal advice and representation to some clients and can refer your case to Shelter Cymru’s legal team of solicitors if appropriate. Shelter Cymru has a contract with the Legal Aid Agency so, where eligible, the advice can be given under the legal aid scheme.
  • Phone Shelter Cymru’s expert helpline on 0345 075 5005 and speak to an adviser. The helpline operates between 9.30am – 4.30pm.
  • E-mail Shelter Cymru and an adviser will respond to your emails within five working days.
  • Audio call or web chat with an adviser. For the audio chat you will need to be using an up to date version of Chrome or Firefox as your browser.

Law centres
Law centres provide independent legal advice services. They cover a number of areas of advice, including housing and benefits. They provide free legal advice and representation. As they employ solicitors they can take action at every level of court.

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice offers free, confidential, impartial and independent advice on a number of issues, including housing and benefits. Visit the Citizens Advice website for more information.

Council housing departments
Every council in Wales must operate a service providing advice and information to people who are in housing need. The service must be free and should include advice about homelessness and how to prevent it. The type of service will vary. Some councils may give the advice itself, others may ask another agency to do it on its behalf. Contact your local council’s housing or homelessness department for more information.

Many councils also employ tenancy relations officers to help any tenants who are experiencing harassment from, or are threatened with illegal eviction by their landlord.

If you are having problems getting your landlord to carry out repairs or you have a noisy neighbour, the council’s environmental health department has the power to take legal action on your behalf.

Social services
Social services have duties to assess and, if appropriate, provide care and support to people in need, of any age. This includes:

  • People who need help because of a disability, ill health or old age
  • People under 18 in need
  • People in need of support who care for someone who is disabled, ill or elderly.

For more details about what help social services can provide click here.

Solicitors and other advice agencies
Some solicitors and advice agencies have contracts with the Legal Aid Agency to provide housing advice under the legal aid scheme. Legal aid helps with the cost of legal advice and representation in court. Whether you get legal aid depends on your financial situation and the type of case.

To find solicitors who can give advice under the legal aid scheme:

  • Contact the Civil Legal Advice helpline on 0345 345 4 345. The lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 12.30pm. Calls cost 4p per minute from a BT land line (more from a mobile)
  • Text ‘legalaid’ and your name to 80010. An adviser will call you back within 24 hours
  • Use the Civil Legal Advice callback service to ask that an adviser calls you back
  • Visit Gov.UK to search for a local legal adviser.

Streetlink Cymru
If you are a rough sleeper you might be able to get help from an outreach service.

Use the Streetlink website or call 0300 500 0914 to make contact with an outreach service:


If you’re concerned about someone sleeping rough, you can also contact Street Link and they will try and connect the rough sleeper to local support and services.

Older people

Age Cymru
Advice, information and services for older people. Age Cymru have an information line on 08000 223 444, offering free advice on a wide range of issues. They also publish a series of factsheets, available free online, covering topics such as finding and paying for accommodation.

Care & Repair Cymru

A national charity working to ensure that all older people have homes that are safe, secure and appropriate to their needs. Contact your local Care & Repair by phoning 0300 111 3333 or looking on their website.

Elderly Accommodation Counsel
If you need support or care at home, or are thinking of moving, this site aims to provide the information you need to weigh up all your options and arrive at your own decisions. If you would like help, it will guide you to the most appropriate advice service. You can also call the advice line on 0800 377 7070.

Which? Elderly Care
Which? provides independent, clear and well-informed information on the subject of elderly care together with access to local service providers around the UK. The information on the Which? Elderly Care site is aimed at relatives and friends of people in need of care advice. The content focuses on financing care, housing options and older people’s needs, such as dealing with memory problems and accessing local authority and NHS care and support.

People with disabilities

Disabled Living Foundation

Charity that helps people cope with disability and achieve greater independence. The website includes advice and information on independent living. You can also call their helpline on 0300 999 0004 or email for advice and information on equipment to help older or disabled people live independently.

Foundation for people with learning disabilities

Information for people with learning disabilities, their families and carers. The website includes useful information and links on accommodation issues.

Mencap Cymru

Mencap Cymru services provide support so that people with a learning disability can live as independently as they want. They also operate the free Wales Learning Disability Helpline, which offers impartial information and advice – 0808 808 1111.

Royal National Institute for the Blind Cymru

Information and support to help people with visual impairments live independent lives. Visit the website, call the helpline on 029 2082 8500 or email


Scope provide free, independent and impartial information and support on the issues that matter to disabled people and their families. You can find services in your area on their website or call their helpline on 0808 800 3333.

Young people

Housemate is run by Shelter Cymru’s Education Service. It is a project aimed at young people to help them learn about independent living. It also provides teachers and professionals with information and resources.

CallChildline free on 0800 1111 to speak to a friendly person who can help you. Or you can visit their website if you don’t feel like talking. If you can’t get through the first time, don’t give up – just keep trying.

Meic Helpline
Meic is the national advocacy, information and advice helpline for children and young people in Wales aged 0 to 25. Young people can access the service by phone on 080880 23456, SMS text message, web based instant messenger or e-mail.

The Mix
The Mix gives advice and support on lots of different topics to young people under 25. You can contact them confidentially by phone – 0808 808 4994 (freephone 11am-11pm every day), email, or live chat.  Or you can use their directory to find organisations which could help you in your area.

The Foyer Federation
The Foyer Federation helps to transform the circumstances of young people who have faced barriers in their lives. Local foyers provide different levels of support but may include supported housing, training and employment projects. To find your local foyer, click here.

Drug, alcohol and gambling support

Alcohol Concern
Alcohol Concern provide information and advice on alcohol and alcohol-related issues, as well as a comprehensive list of residential and community organisations that can help you. Contact them on 0203 907 8480 or email

Confidential help and advice on all aspects of alcohol, including where to get help and support. For more information call 0300 123 1110.

The ‘getting help’ section of this drug information website has a searchable database of services for people with drug dependency issues, including support services. You can also call Frank on the 24-hour helpline 0300 123 6600 , or email for confidential help and advice.

Wales Drug and Alcohol Helpline
Free bilingual drug and alcohol helpline: 0808 808 2234 or text DAN to: 81066. It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and calls from UK landlines are free (some mobile phone networks may charge). See more at

Gambling Support Service
A free, confidential service based at Newport Citizens Advice . Call 01633 222622 or email Also on Facebook and Twitter @SupportGambling

Mental health support

Alzheimer’s Society
Support and advice for people with dementia and their carers on their website, including information on services, money and legal matters. It also has a helpline on 0300 222 1122.

A leading welsh mental health charity, providing a range of services including advice and help, to support people with mental health problems to live fulfilled lives.

Information on a range of mental health issues. You can also call Mind Infoline on 0300 123 3393, text 86463 or email for confidential advice and information.

Mental Health Foundation
Information on mental health problems and treatments, and a directory of organisations that can help.

Information and emotional support to anyone affected by mental illness via the website, a helpline on 0300 304 7000 and by email at

C.A.L.L Helpline
Offers emotional support and information on mental health and related matters to the people of Wales. See more at: or ring the freephone helpline on 0800 132 737.

Single parents

Gingerbread is an organisation providing expert advice, practical support and campaign for single parents. The factsheet section includes information on housing options. You can also call the helpline on 0808 802 0925.

Family Point Cymru
Family Point Cymru has a website designed to connect families in Wales with the services that they need. They can also be contacted on 0300 222 57 57.

People in need of care and/or support

Dewis Cymru
This website has information and advice on all aspects of care and support, for people in need and their carers. You can also use the website to search for services in your area.

Cartrefi Cymru
Cartrefi Cymru is a not-for-profit organisation that supports older people and those with disabilities in Wales.  It can also provide breaks and support for carers

Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales
Care services in Wales are regulated by the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales. Care services include care homes, housing support services, rehabilitation homes, and respite care. The website has more information about the Inspectorate, including how to make a complaint about a care service. If you have a general enquiry about their work you may call them on 0300 7900 126.

Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
If you are not happy about the way the social services department has carried out a needs assessment, then you might be able to ask the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales to review your case. The Ombudsman would usually expect you to have complained to the social services department first. If you have not already done so, contact your local authority and ask for details of its’ complaints procedure.

Welsh Government
A new law for improving the well-being of people who need care and support and carers was introduced in Wales in April 2016. For information about the law, and how affects you, click here.

Armed forces personnel

Welsh Government
The Welsh Government has produced a National Housing Pathway for Ex-Service Personnel which contains housing advice and support for people leaving the Armed Forces.

You can also access their Package of Support which gives lots of information about services available to those leaving the armed forces, including health care and welfare benefits.

Veterans’ NHS Wales
Veterans’ NHS Wales can help support you if you have left the armed forces and are experiencing mental health difficulties.

This page was last updated on: July 16, 2018

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.