Supported housing

What do I need to know?

Arrow right

Living in supported housing means you might be able to:

  • get help with day to day activities, like paying your bills or shopping
  • plan for living on your own
  • have someone to talk to.
Arrow right

You may be able to get housing support from your council or housing association.

Arrow right

There are different types of supported accommodation, depending on what you need.

Find Out More

Supported housing means you can get help to live independently. The length and type of support you get depends on your personal situation and what your needs are.

The support can include help with:

  • your physical and mental health
  • practical things like sorting out benefits, cooking, shopping, paying bills
  • getting you in to education, training or work.

Supported housing should help you get the skills you need to live safely in your own place.

Supported accommodation can be in:

  • a hostel or foyer, often with others
  • self-contained accommodation, such as a flat, with regular visits from support workers.

Foyers provide secure supported housing to young people aged between 16-25. They often give help with training and work. To find a foyer, go to the Foyer Federation website.

Your rights depend on:

  • the type of accommodation
  • the support you get
  • the type of agreement you have with the owner or organisation that gives you support.

If you live in a hostel or refuge and you’re provided with food or you share a kitchen with others, you are probably an excluded occupier. This means that your landlord can legally evict you without having to go to court.

If you live in self-contained accommodation, receive support and your agreement allows workers to enter your home and check on you then you probably have a licence.

If support workers can’t enter your home without your permission then you will probably have a tenancy. This is likely to be either :

  • a supported standard contract if your landlord is a housing association or a private landlord
  • an introductory or secure contract if your landlord is the council.

In most cases, your landlord will have to apply for an eviction order from the court if your contract or licence ends and you stay in the property.

If you are on a low income or get benefits, you may be able to claim housing benefit or universal credit housing costs to help pay the rent.

You might need to apply to your local council’s Supporting People programme for help to pay for any support. Ask the organisation who is giving the support for details of the programme or get in touch with your local council to find out more.

Find your local council using this tool.

Supported housing is not meant to be long-term or permanent.

While you are there, the support staff should help you prepare for living on your own and help you look at what other housing would be suitable for you long-term.

Want to Chat?


Chat to one of our advisers using our instant messaging service


Call our expert housing helpline on
08000 495 495

Support Near You

Use our Search Tool to find support in your area

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: January 24, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.