Supported accommodation: Supported standard contracts

  • If you receive support as part of living in your home you might live in supported accommodation
  • You might become a supported standard contract-holder after 6 months, unless your landlord extends this period
  • If you have a supported standard contract you can be asked to leave your home temporarily

If you moved into your home before 1 December 2022 the information below does not apply to you. Please visit our converted contracts advice section. 

This page explains your rights if you have a supported standard occupation contract with a community landlord or charity. It covers the rights you have to live in your home without being disturbed and to get repairs done. 

It does not explain your rights and responsibilities if you have a licence or common law tenancy in supported accommodation. For information about this, click here.

Do I have a supported standard occupation contract? 

You could have a supported standard occupation contract if: 

  • you receive support as part of living in your home
  • your landlord is a community landlord or a registered charity 
  • your landlord has given you a notice telling you that you have a supported standard contract, 
  • you have been living in supported accommodation for 6 months or more 

What information should I get at the start of my contract? 

Your landlord must give you a written contract within 14 days of you becoming a supported standard contract-holder. 

The contract will explain your rights and the responsibilities that you and your landlord have. It must also contain certain information. If your landlord doesn’t give you the written contract or the information in it is wrong, find out what you can do here

You should also be given:  

  • a contact address for your landlord  
  • a copy of the annual gas safety check dated within the last year 
  • an electrical installation condition report dated within the last 5 years 
  • an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) dated within the last 10 years 

If your landlord has not provided the above information, they may not be able to evict you using a ‘no fault’ notice.

Can my landlord evict me? 

Yes. Your landlord may decide to evict you if you breach your occupation contract or for other reasons. 

It is usually quite easy for your landlord to evict you under a supported standard contract.  

Your landlord has to follow the right procedure by giving you a valid notice and getting a court order,  but they don’t have to prove a legal reason to the court.  

Once you receive the notice, you may be able to ask your landlord to review their decision to evict you.  

For more information please see eviction of supported standard contract-holders  .  

If you receive a notice asking you to leave supported accommodation, get help. 

Can my landlord ask me to leave temporarily? 

Your landlord can ask you to leave your home for a maximum of 48 hours if you have: 

  •  used violence against someone in your home or on the premises 
  •  behaved in a way that causes a risk of significant harm to others, or 
  • behaved in a way that could prevent other residents from receiving support. 

Your landlord should give you a notice (on form RHW15), giving reasons why they want you to leave. If you get a notice telling you to move out temporarily get help straight away. 

You can’t be asked to leave your home temporarily on more than 3 occasions in any 6-month period. 

Your landlord or support provider should have a policy that explains when they might use this term. It should also explain what steps they’ll take to avoid exclusion and any arrangements to ensure you don’t have to sleep rough.

Can I be moved to other accommodation? 

Your contract may also give your landlord the right to move you to different accommodation. This is called a ‘mobility’ clause, and you should check your contract to see if this is allowed.  

A mobility clause might be used instead of excluding you temporarily to avoid conflict with other residents. It shouldn’t be used unless it is necessary in order to protect you or other residents or ensure that effective support can be given. 

If your landlord asks you to move to another property in the building, it is worth considering whether they will exclude or evict you if you refuse. Get help if you are in this situation. 

What are the rules on rent and rent increases? 

If you have a supported standard contract and your landlord wants to increase your rent, they must give you at least 2 months’ notice.  

If your landlord wants to increase your rent less than a year after the last rent increase, get help. 

Your rent should always be your top financial priority as you could lose your home if you get into rent arrears. If you are claiming benefits or have a low income, you may be able to claim housing benefit or Universal Credit housing costs to help with the rent. It is a good idea to talk to your landlord if you have any concerns about paying rent. 


Can the landlord change my contract? 

Your landlord can change:  

Changes can only be made by agreement. If any changes are agreed, your landlord should give you a ‘written statement of variation’ within 14 days. They may choose to give you the full written contract again, including the changed term. If your landlord does not provide either of these, find out what you can do here.

Who is responsible for repairs? 

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that the property is fit to live in and kept in good repair. This includes dealing with: 

  • problems with the roof, guttering, windows, doors and brickwork  
  • plumbing, gas and electricity. 

 Your landlord should give you information about what repairs you are responsible for. 

If your home needs repairs, report the problem to your landlord straight away. They should have a 24-hour service for emergencies and proper procedures for carrying out any work involved. 

Find out more about repairs here.

Your right to live in your home without interference 

You have the right to live in your home without interference from the landlord or anyone acting on their behalf.  

If your landlord tries to do this they may be guilty of harassment, which is against the law. To find out more about what you can do if your landlord is harassing you, read our advice about harassment and illegal eviction. 

Can I take in lodgers or sublet my home? 

You don’t normally have the right to take in a lodger or sublet part of your home while you are a supported standard contract-holder. If you do so without written permission from your landlord, they may decide to evict you. 

Can I add a joint contract-holder? 

Your contract should give you the right to add a joint contract-holder if your landlord agrees. This is a fundamental term of secure, periodic standard and fixed term standard contracts. Find out more here. 

Can someone else take over my supported standard occupation contract if I die?  

If you die while you have a supported standard occupation contract there are rules about who the contract can be passed on to. This is called succession.

Can I get a transfer or exchange? 

Not while you are in supported accommodation. You will have to wait until you get settled accommodation. Even then, it will only be possible to exchange your home if you are given a secure occupation contract with a community landlord. 

How can I end a supported standard occupation contract? 

If you want to end your standard contract and leave your home you should give the landlord the correct notice in writing.  

The minimum length of notice you should give your landlord is 4 weeks.

What if I have a complaint? 

If you feel that your landlord isn’t treating you fairly or has failed to fulfil its responsibilities, you should use their official complaints procedure. You usually have to do this before you can take things any further. 

If you’re not happy with the response you get, you might be able to complain further to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: February 17, 2023

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.