Private landlords and converted contracts

  • If you started renting your home from a private landlord before 1 December 2022 you probably have a converted standard contract 
  • The type of converted standard contract you have depends on the type of tenancy agreement you had before 1 December 2022

What type of converted contract have I got? 

If your tenancy with a private landlord began before 1 December 2022 you now have a converted occupation contract.  

There are 2 different types of converted contracts that you can have with a private landlord. These are:  

  • converted fixed term standard contract  
  • converted periodic standard contract

Some renting agreements did not become occupation contracts on 1 December 2022. For example, if you live in your landlord’s home and share living space, you will not have an occupation contract.

Find out more about these exceptions here.

The type of contract you have depends on what type of tenancy you had before 1 December 2022. Click on the link below that applies to you.

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: December 9, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.