Standard occupation contracts with private landlords

Standard occupation contracts with private landlords – quick links: 

  1. Fixed term standard contracts 
  2. Periodic standard contracts 
  3. Renting agreements that are not occupation contracts 

If you moved into your home before 1 December 2022 the information below does not apply to you. Please visit our converted contracts advice section. 

Do I have a standard occupation contract? 

Most people renting their home from a private landlord have a standard occupation contract.  There are 2 types of standard contract private landlords can give: fixed term standard occupation contracts and periodic standard occupation contracts.  

In some situations you can rent from a private landlord but you will not have a standard occupation contract. Find out about these exceptions here. 

Community landlords can give standard occupation contracts but only in certain circumstances  

Take a look at our advice pages below to find out more about your rights if you have a standard occupation contract. 

Did you find this helpful?

Rydym yn ymddiheuro na fedrwn ddarparu’r wybodaeth yma yn Gymraeg, ond os hoffech siarad ag ymgynghorydd yn Gymraeg yna cysylltwch ar 08000 495 495.
We are sorry that we cannot provide this information in Welsh, however if you would like to speak to an adviser in Welsh please contact 08000 495 495.

This page was last updated on: December 4, 2022

Shelter Cymru acknowledges the support of Shelter in allowing us to adapt their content. The information contained on this site is updated and maintained by Shelter Cymru and only gives general guidance on the law in Wales. It should not be regarded or relied upon as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.